Finally...I can get started

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Now I feel that I can be a full fledged member of this forum instead of a question asker. I finally got my MaxJax lift installed after a long delay due to a gov. mandated safety recall. The issue was with some missed welds on the Chinese made carriages. All defective parts are replaced and the lift is fantastic. I lost my right leg in an MC accident some years ago and my other leg & hip were damaged pretty badly so the floor jack & jack stand routine is not a good option for me. I got the '68 up in the air and I am pretty happy with it's condition. I spent the day draining all the fluids, removing the rad so I can have it tested and looking over the gas tank(it leaked on the floor while in storage). Here are some pics of my good day.:eek:s_dancing2:

Newport Day 1 008.jpg

Newport Day 1 011.jpg

Newport Day 1 015.jpg

Newport Day 1 023.jpg

Newport Day 1 017.jpg

Newport Day 1 019.jpg

Newport Day 1 018.jpg

Newport Day 1 022.jpg

Newport Day 1 025.jpg

I think the best course of action is to make sure the car runs well and is safe for the road, then drive the piss out of it this summer and fall. Bodywork and upgrades can come later this winter. I am going to look at the brakes today, the lines are all rust free, but need to be clipped better in places. The antifreeze and trans fluid looked brand new, but the engine oil looked like brown mud. I will run some Gunk engine flush thru it. 1 area I am a little concerned with are the places where the front leaf spring hangers attach.

Newport Day 1 021.jpg

It turns out that the fuel leak is up by the right rear fender well in the fuel line itself. What is the proper way to repair this. It looks as though the line was hit, not rust. The rest of the line is very good...I hate to replace the whole line. I will post a pic later today.

:sSig_thanks:My house isn't finished yet, but my shop is coming along nicely.:eek:ccasion14:

Am I missing seeing the fasteners in the ground for those legs? I know it must be a simple optical delusion on my end.

Am I missing seeing the fasteners in the ground for those legs? I know it must be a simple optical delusion on my end.
Wej-it Power-Sert epoxy anchors with 5/8" GR8 bolts torqued to 90 lbs. This thing isn't going anywhere.

68 Newport 004.jpg

DSC_4441.jpg

Well, the last few days have been spent taking things apart and ordering parts. I took my radiator in to be repaired and it should be ready tomorrow. Was in very good shape except for a broken filler neck and 1 small leak...cost less than $100 and I am very happy. Brakes are also in good shape, but I will replace the shoes(came with the car) and all the hardware. Drum brakes are very confusing to order hardware for! Thank god for Rockauto as nothing was available locally.

68 Newport 001.jpg

68 Newport 003.jpg

The fuel line was much worse than I thought, so I drained the rest of the old fuel from the tank and ordered a whole new one from Inline tube.$132.24 with the ride...ouch!:disgust: Oh well, at least it should fit.

68 Newport 005.jpg

68 Newport 006.jpg

68 Newport 008.jpg

Now for the bad! I am really concerned about the rust around the front spring hangers. I could really use some advise on how to repair this type of damage correctly. I was thinking of getting some new spring brackets and boxing the whole area with 1/8" plate. The frame sections are in great shape. You opinions are greatly appreciated!:icon_pray:

68 Newport 009.jpg

68 Newport 010.jpg

68 Newport 011.jpg

Now for the bad! I am really concerned about the rust around the front spring hangers. I could really use some advise on how to repair this type of damage correctly. I was thinking of getting some new spring brackets and boxing the whole area with 1/8" plate. The frame sections are in great shape. You opinions are greatly appreciated!:icon_pray:

New front spring hangers are a start, remove them then make cardboard templates of what is left of the structure so you can recreate it, remove all rusty metal and rebuild with your new metal, be very cautious as what is behind the floor when welding the metal in you don't want the carpet on fire. That is how I would start, I hope this helps and good luck

I couldn't even squeeze my fat A#* into the side of that!:sFun_doh2: Where do you work on your car?

Haha, that's indeed a problem. But I manage. Can't do big things on the car but I changed the rear brakes today in that garage ! Car jacked up one side and the wheel of I just have enough room to manage. But yes, I spent more time walking from one to the other side of the car. Putting the car halfway in it is no option: I can't get in or out the garage anymore. At the garagedoor I have about 5 inches left, on both sides of the car, so even I ( with NO fat A#$, can't get in ot out..:laughing4:

Greetz , Luigi

Back