Finally.....New Cummins Engine for Army Bradley Fighting Vehicle Announced

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
This is something that is very cool....

I'm going to remain mum on this and let public media tell you about it.

Cummins developing revolutionary new diesel engine for U.S. Army

1507129390288.jpg

WOW! You can google it, a three cylinder opposed with to pistons in each, and no valvetrain!
Those guys really have it together!

Okay, so they're downsizing existing technology?? I know there's major differences but we had 10 cylinder dual opposed piston diesels aboard ship, used 'em as emergency power generators. Don't remember the Hp rating anymore but it was significant, of course they were turbocharged - but they were also around 40 ft long without the generator and about 12 or 14 ft tall.

Tests of the new engine are scheduled to be conducted by the U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC) starting in 2019.

I drive past this facility every day. It's the back side of the tank plant Chrysler built in 1942.

atac.jpg

It used to be called TACOM, but they changed the name to TARDEC. The GM tech center is immediately north. BAE is north of that. CTC is north of that. (Ford is way south.) Don't kid yourself, in a hot war, we are ground zero.

But who needs domestic manufacturing? Let's all buy Chinese cars and design apps while we sit with our domestic partners at a Chipotle.

We conduct a lot of Bradley endurance, performance, and lethalilty testing at ATC at the TW (Trench Warfare) center.

But who needs domestic manufacturing? Let's all buy Chinese cars and design apps while we sit with our domestic partners at a Chipotle
Carmine, your way with words always delights me. You know how to nail on the head 3 absurdities about American society in one sentence. That takes a superb, keen, wit. :thumbsup:

Carmine, your way with words always delights me. You know how to nail on the head 3 absurdities about American society in one sentence. That takes a superb, keen, wit. :thumbsup:

This is like having Ricardo Montalban tell me he likes my Cordoba restoration. I should stop posting and go out on top!

This new engine will move an up-armored, way over weight, Bradley 50+mph while consuming half the fuel.

Quite a design, and expect the engine to have civilian applications soon.

I spoke with a friend close to the emissions design group for Cummins,
and apparently The Duramax and Ford diesel engine now passes The new emissions standards because they contracted with Cummins to design the fuel and emissions equipment for them. Imagine that!

Yep see post #5.

I had thought that platform went out of production in the 80's.

I got the same surprise when the company I'm leased to repurposed a couple of 2003 Oshkosh 8x8's and they had 8v92 DDEC3 Detroits in them.
I keep forgetting that automotive isn't the only application for a Diesel engine.

Kevin

The only thing DD missed when designing the 8V92 and the 12V92 were the oil recovering systemz. Talk about markin' your territory? I don't think their waz ah street in Dearborn, Mi. that didn't have ah 3' wide black streak in the middle of the slow lane! And the bilge pumps on Boatz 'N Bargez got lubricated just by firing 'um up! SHISH

Back