First Welder

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
That one looks like it would be a good choice provided the quality is as they say. I would like to have one of those in fact! Does that company have a good reputation Julian?

I would go with a MIG welder that you can get a spool gun for. That way down the road, you can weld aluminum should the need arise. Without going into brand names, probably the best indicator of quality and power is the Duty Cycle. The longer the Duty Cycle along with a high amperage, the higher quality the transformer and other internal components. For example, a welder with a duty cycle of 100o/o @250 amps that means you can do some pretty heavy duty welding all day long without having the welder stop for a breather. Meanwhile one with say a 40 o/o duty cycle means every 20 minutes it will stop working and have to cool down and recover. Unfortunately the higher end welders have a higher end price tag. For home use you probably would never run one that hard but I feel it's the best way to tell a good welder from a cheapy.

You also have to think about having the capacity to run the bigger welders where you want to do the work. When I bought my Miller I had no 220 volt power in the detached garage where I needed it so I chose the 140 which was the biggest machine I could get that could be run off of a standard 110 volt 20 amp circuit. Mine came with a spool gun for doing aluminum and in 6 years I haven't taken it out of the box but I'd like to.

Stahlwerk has a bit of a following but I would say generally, a machine that tries to combine processes is usually a compromise of those processes. I.E. it may do those processes but MAY not do them very well.

That one looks like it would be a good choice provided the quality is as they say. I would like to have one of those in fact! Does that company have a good reputation Julian?

I like the idea to have all mothods in 1 case! Even if I don't really know when to use which... If I need one specific method one day, I alrealy have the welder..! I've read a lot of reviews and tests in several forums and besides the typical number of gloomsters who prefer the 2000€+ welders, the majority opinion is positive!

There is a "smaller" version, for just WIG MMA
http://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraete.de/en/shop/163-stahlwerk-dc-wig-tig-200-s.html

I'm sure, there are better "single method" welders, indeed!

The question is, do I need a high performance welder for my purpose! I would think a good allround welder will fit my needs best?!

Mine came with a spool gun for doing aluminum and in 6 years I haven't taken it out of the box but I'd like to.
Well, if you wanna get rid of it......
I found myself seriously out of luck for a DIY modification on my Champion radiator.

You know what really pissed me off about the Champion?
Not the mounting flange being wrong.
Not the shroud mounts being wrong.
It was the filler neck nipple for the overflow hose sticking out forty five degrees instead of being in line with the tank. I still want to move it...

I don't sell tools. I use them till they are completely worn out and then I replace. It's obviously going to take me a while to wear out this spool gun but I'll give it a shot eventually.

I wanna buy my first welder and need some advice. What's the best method to weld sheet metal with the option to weld thicker material if needed?!

I've read about MIG, MAG, WIG and MMA!?!

Are these all in one combiunits good to start with?
http://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraet...a/stahlwerk-mig-mag-200-with-tig-and-mma.html

What specifications should I look for?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-140-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2514-1/100670934
This is what I use. Works good,and is reliable. Smaller welder but enough heat for auto body fabrication, with a good price. As mentioned I would stay away from the multi purpose.

Lincoln 220V Mig. Spend the extra money on the aluminum feeder. Then you are only limited by your skills.

Best bet is to walk into a local welding supply store and tell them what you want and give them a price range. They quite often have evening welding classes too.

You can then walk out with everything you need to weld except the ability.... and then you can work on that.

Myself, I have a 110v Lincoln welder that will do MIG and flux core. I'm not a good welder... My high school welding teacher died early in the program and his successor died too. I've wanted to take an adult class, but I don't want to curse another instructor... But I digress.... This welder works up to my own abilities very well.

Lincoln is too expensive, yes. And I agree, we have enought good german brands! But ESAB is waay to pricey and a little bit too "professional" for my purpose. I don't need the best welder available, just a good allround welder for hobby use.

Good idea with the local shop John! I just found one local shop around and will check it out, but I doesn't look like the shop I'm searching for... :( It's one with a big, bright showroom with ones 2-3 machines in it. Looks expensive..

Big johns advice is sound local shop local parts as long as its a name you have seen or heard about and has separate speed and heat settings I have never had any real success with a combo wire and speed controls. As for aluminum go back to local welding shop and ask who does aluminum welding, take your parts to that person. IMO without a lot of practice and a very good TIG machine you are just drawing a line that the next crack will line up against.

Back