Flint Michigan

Don't be fooled everybody, if you live in a city that the infrastructure could be considered "old" then there's lead in your pipes. It's a matter of keeping it under control, this could have happened almost anywhere.
Well, its pretty rare to find lead pipes down here, but then infrastructure in the southwest is generally newer than in the north/northeast and the great lakes area anyway. Its semi-big news when a lead pipe is discovered anywhere down here, but it does happen rarely. The state was renovating a big facility here a few years ago and encountered a couple of lead pipes still in use and removed them... it was a fairly big news story.

Urban water treatment systems do indeed try to keep the water very alkaline to prevent lead from leaching, even from copper and brass lines. But that has a downside, too. Water with a pH over 8 is pretty rough on your skin.

If you look at the waste and vent pipes (probably easiest to see in the attic) and look where two pipes join together with a hub. You'll see that down in the joint it is about a 1" deep lead joint. We pack jute (rope like material) down in that hub until it is about an inch from the top of the hub. Then we pour molten lead to fill the the hub to about an 1/8" below the top of the hub. We than use a special chisel and a hammer to peen the lead against the inside perimeter and outside perimeter which seals against fluid and odor leaks.

My house still has a cast iron "main stack" for the wastewater, with jute/lead joints. I've also R&R'd that type of joint, melting lead (wheel weights plus the old lead pried out of the joint) to re-install many years go. But that's not a health issue since its sewage anyway. If we ever start heavily re-cycling wastewater straight to the water supply system (it is done, but VERY rarely in the US- people really don't like to think about it) then those wastewater joints might become an issue. Might. Its not much lead surface exposed to the water flowing through the pipe, since the jute is on the "wet" side between the lead and the water.

Well, its pretty rare to find lead pipes down here, but then infrastructure in the southwest is generally newer than in the north/northeast and the great lakes area anyway. Its semi-big news when a lead pipe is discovered anywhere down here, but it does happen rarely. The state was renovating a big facility here a few years ago and encountered a couple of lead pipes still in use and removed them... it was a fairly big news story.

Urban water treatment systems do indeed try to keep the water very alkaline to prevent lead from leaching, even from copper and brass lines. But that has a downside, too. Water with a pH over 8 is pretty rough on your skin.
Nothing is a big deal in Flint anymore. They've closed 2/3rds of Flints school. There's houses in Flint that's date to the 1800's. Most houses in downtown were built in the early 1900's. Corporations draw hundreds of thousands with promising jobs then pack up and leave the city, not much left for Flint. UofM gets an A for effort. They've brought a great deal to downtown. Still not enough tho.

I just saw on the news in Ottawa,Canada, that 3 people ( so far ) have been charged with the water situation in Flint Michigan

Ken

Here is my Suggestion on how to raise money to Save Flint.

Get Grand Funk Railroad back together.
Mark Farner, Don Brewer, Mel Schacher. The original 3, Flint being their hometown just makes it even better.
Show the new Generation what a Real Rock and roll band is, And what some Footstompin Music can do.

Love Canal was a super fund site, maybe the first one. Mom was born near there. The government bought out the homes in the danger zone. The home owners were unaware of just what the poisons were. Flint seems to be in that category. Homeowners unaware they are consuming toxins. What gets to me is the negligence. That is criminal.

Back