FOP - Fraternal Order of Police - 10 greatest cop cars of all time.............

Yeah, I remember those 69 Polaras. They looked they were supposed to be police cars!

Yeah, I remember those 69 Polaras. They looked they were supposed to be police cars!

There are a few of us here that have Genuine CHP 69 Polaras.

When I first set off to get a CHP car I looked at the list of car used and picked the 69 because of the way it looked, I knew nothing about it at the time. When I learned its history and it being the Holly Grail of CHP cars it was like ohh **** there is no way I would get one (at least worth having in my price range). Six years later I'm 5 years into a restoration of one.

I might be a little biased but I think it is one of the best looking Police cars ever.

Alan

Last edited:
I knew a State Trooper that was assigned a Ford Mustang, 5.0 with a 5 speed. I told him he was lucky. He said it was the worst car he ever had. Sure it was fun to drive, and fast. But try that 5 speed while working the radio in pursuit on a country road. The 440 cars in general were my Dad's favorite. No particular year, but they did have a hand full of slick top 69's that were used as radar cars. Broken motor mounts and bald tires...:)

my memories are clear from one late night outside Omaha in April, 1970, My Buddy had a 69' Roadrunner, and another chump with a 69ss 396 were racing on Interstate 80 outside Waverly. The were topped out, then a 69' Polara Highway patrol car passed them both while in the parking lane, got in front of them, and stopped them both. Off to jail, called their Parents, towed the cars.
I never bad mouthed C body 440 Police cars after that night. If I had one, that would be it.

We did not have too many of the good American cop cars here in Australia, mostly powder blue Chrysler Royals which were a great car, the South Australian Police still use one for the annual Motor Cycle Riders Association kids toy run where we get 1000's of bikes, they travel up the South Eastern Freeway with the Royal up front light flashing and siren sounding in the lead ( it is not allowed to be passed so keeps every one at a safe speed ). The 2012 Chev Caprice is a standard car on Australian roads and goes under the name of HSV ( Holden Special Vehicles ) Clubsport and is as mean as it gets. Aussie Bob.

There are alot of holes inbetween the models talked about. For example the 1970 Plymouth Fury, Mid '70's Royal Monaco, '72 Polara and the Volare/Aspen and don't forget the station wagons. I acknowlege that the '69 Polara is the "Holy Grail" but my '70 Fury is dam close to it in my book.

I have a friend that works on 05-12 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor's for the Maryland State Troopers.

Slow as hell and junk! Most of them have 300,000 - 500,000 miles on them. The state just keeps pouring money in to them. Ignition coils, brake pads and rotor every 10,000 miles. Chassis and suspension parts failing all the time.

1969 was a great year for Mopar squad cars, from the four door Roadrunner to the Polara. Fast, dependable, and four doors never looked so good. That said I still like my 72 (love it or hate it) Polara. To me the best part is that every year is unique.

Back