For Mobile Directors only

Famed defense attorney F. Lee Bailey had a Mobile Director. Sometime during that era, one of the weekly news magazines (Newsweek, Time, U.S. News) did a story on him and he was pictured working away on the MD while his wife or secretary drove. It was a great interior action shot. I used to have that article but now can't find it. However, a quick Google search turned up these from a different event:

f lee bailey.jpeg

image_access_800.jpeg

image_thumbnail_300.jpeg

image_thumbnail_3001.jpeg

www.YouTube.com/watch?v=b8nc9swVpoU
Should get you to a 1967 Chrysler Imperial televison commercial. Quality is not the greatest, but it mentions the Tensor light which can plug into any of 4 plugs, on the Mobile Director optioned car.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Here is the photo I have for the ‘64 “Executive” car.
F896EBB4-8676-460E-819B-CFF383EF8404.jpeg
C5992D2D-2760-4806-BECB-F05D488E22ED.jpeg

I’ve been wanting to start this thread on this great forum for a while now so here goes.
I have a lot to contribute and will do so over time but I think it will be great to have a go to place for all things Mobile Director. It would be nice to have a registry of known cars even if it’s just a story from a sitting of one from the past with as much as can be remembered from it.
Feel free to join me in posting links with any kind of info from other sites.

If anything deserves its own registry, it would be the Mobile Director. Awareness of them certainly has gone up over the years. You will likely want to "cross reference" with the Imperial Club home page as well..........

Back in #3, I posted this pic.

concept-jpg.jpg

the seats didn't look like any '67 or '68 I have ever seen. Cuz they're not. All that said, I have never seen a "66 CC MD show car."

I learned something. :)

"Picture a walnut-paneled office, with leather upholstered chairs, copy transmitter-receiver, dictating machine, two telephones, conference table, typewriter, reading lamp, air conditioner, television—and a 440 cu. in V8 engine under it, and you have the 1966 Imperial Mobile Executive Show Car!

For the car show circuit in 1966, Chrysler created a fabulous Mobile Executive Show Car that looked like your basic Imperial Crown Coupe on the outside, but was a very different creature inside.

Chrysler advertised the car as an executive suite on wheels, that was equipped with almost every conceivable modern convenience deemed necessary by the busy executive of circa 1966!

Believe it or not, Chrysler actually offered this as an optional feature on the 1967-1968 Imperial Crown Coupe! Called the "Mobile Director," it was priced at a whopping $597.40 in 1967 [that's like $5,200 in 2022 money - must be all that electronic stuff NOT in production cars].

Needless to say, there wasn't a huge market for such a set up, as most busy executives and their secretaries preferred the comfort of a hotel room...oops...we mean their office...for those late night and weekend work assignments.

Think of it what you will, but there's little doubt that the Mobile Director remains one of the most unique options ever offered on an automobile."

source: 1966 Imperial Mobile Executive Show Car
imp1966mobileexecutive.jpg
imp1966mobileexecutivemeeting.jpg
imp1966mobileexecutivead.jpg

imp1966mobileexecutiveinteriordrawing.jpg

Last edited:
This one was from 2014 but no pics….:BangHead:
1967 Chrysler Imperial E-Bay
This is one of my posts in the thread.
This car is a real beauty and looks to be in just about the same condition as mine. The '68 grille is too over the top for me and the '67 is my favorite by far. Not a big fan of the gold but that white over black interior along with the black top makes it really look great. The mobile director just oozes kool, what a find! The last one of these that was on ebay went close to 30K but never met reserve and I haven't seen it since so I'm sure it changed hands. All that being said, I like mine much better.

imperial-crown-coupe-f115-chicago-2017-mecum-a-png.png
1672676907574.png

Like most things in our hobby, when you think they are ALL gone, one (or more) of anything shows up. A real, live MD lamp is out there somewhere .. may take 50 more years for it to turn up, or maybe tomorrow this "unicorn" shows up at a yard sale/swap meet.

Anyway, one of these posts, or I read it somewhere, mentions the Tensor lamp. That was a brand name and company by same name and it had imitators over the years too.

The Tensor lammp was patented in 1964. Perfect timing and design it seems for Chrysler's MD plans a few years later.

source: Popular Science, January 1965
1672677471358.png

The description of Tensors at the link above:

"The first Tensor lamp consisted of assembling together a 12-volt automobile parking light bulb and reflector made from an ordinary kitchen measuring cup .. fixed the cup to a metal tube that was attached to a transformer, which reduced 115-volt house current to 12 volts. Because of the small bulb, the entire lamp could be made smaller with a light-directing shade"

I am in the line of thought as @MrMoparCHP in that something "similar-looking, make-do" could be cobbled together from existing/vintage lamps you could get today?

No need for a voltage step-down. An automotive bulb was used by the inventor and 12V. A cigarette lighter plug could be fabricated? Some other attachment wired into the vehicle?

It would take some skill, but it ain't putting a man on the moon or something. Surprised somebody hasn't done it yet..

1672677822773.png

The next post is the feature in this magazine.
5792935E-D7E0-402F-8E34-54E3D9346CBD.jpeg

Back