For Mobile Directors only

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to start this thread on this great forum for a while now so here goes.
I have a lot to contribute and will do so over time but I think it will be great to have a go to place for all things Mobile Director. It would be nice to have a registry of known cars even if it’s just a story from a sitting of one from the past with as much as can be remembered from it.
Feel free to join me in posting links with any kind of info from other sites.

my $0.02. Hope its got legs boss.

:thumbsup:

source: History Hits: 1967/1968 Imperial Crown Coupe Mobile Director

real-ad.png
concept.jpg
header.png
smart.jpg

I'll chime in with some overalll data from the Online Imperial Club:

1967 and 1968 Imperial Mobile Director Coupes

It's too bad exact production figures are not known beyond "extremely rare".
This is an excerpt from 1 of the write-ups in that link. I actually have that photograph, a glossy original. I will post it soon.

From Brett C. Snyder:
“I've been digging through my archives, trying to find the specific photocopy that has mystified me for years. I was at the Detroit Public Library, also known as the National Automotive History Collection, doing research for a few weeks in the back-stacks for my February 1988 Collectible Automobile La Femme article. I made hundreds of photocopies, including one of a 8 by 10 photo of the interior of 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe. I knew it was a '64 because the dash had the full-length chromed ribs, rather than the '65's half-ribs/half veneer and the '66's full wood veneer. The passenger seat is turned around to face the rear, there's a male executive (wearing a fedora) using a Dictaphone (built-in, but I forget where), and there's a female secretary using a built-in telephone.”

Just noticed something from the pics of the 68 (blue) vs 67 (gold /white) MDs above that got me wondering...

Did the 68 MDs get 67 pattern bucket seat lower hinge covers? In 68 Chrysler dropped the metal hinge covers/ seat backs on the bucket seats and went with plastic...but you can see on the blue 68 that it has the 67 style on the lower hinge cover.

I could see Chrysler doing that for such a small production run.

This is an excerpt from 1 of the write-ups in that link. I actually have that photograph, a glossy original. I will post it soon.

From Brett C. Snyder:
“I've been digging through my archives, trying to find the specific photocopy that has mystified me for years. I was at the Detroit Public Library, also known as the National Automotive History Collection, doing research for a few weeks in the back-stacks for my February 1988 Collectible Automobile La Femme article. I made hundreds of photocopies, including one of a 8 by 10 photo of the interior of 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe. I knew it was a '64 because the dash had the full-length chromed ribs, rather than the '65's half-ribs/half veneer and the '66's full wood veneer. The passenger seat is turned around to face the rear, there's a male executive (wearing a fedora) using a Dictaphone (built-in, but I forget where), and there's a female secretary using a built-in telephone.”
I wonder if the photo of the 64 Imperial with the passenger seat turned around was from a design studio study dream car or even a show car.

The MD interior out of the parts car I sent you went into a 67 conv in the Oregon area.
Not the green one above,but it was the same color as the coupe above.

I know of a 67 bronze metallic coupe parts car that had the seats removed,but was an original MD car. It was sent to Lowell Howells place in Patterson
Ca to save it from the derby crowd. Lowell stripped it and sold it for derby anyways.

I also saw a different 67 coupe at a demo derby in Turlock Ca.
The guy had thrown all the MD parts away !!!!

Back in the later 1980s, at the old Fenders Drive-In in northwestern Dallas, TX . . . a few members of the area WPC Club were there. One guy had driven his Imperial up I-35 to (almost) Canada and had loosely formed the "I-35 Imperial Club". Seems that everywhere he stopped for gas, his Imperial was the subject of conversation, so Brooks wrote down their contact information. On this particular day, he brought a friend with him, in his '67 Imperial MD. Apparently the MD was local to the Dallas area (at the time). Seems like it was a dark crimson or similar? We walked out to look at it and it was legit, from what I could see. He demonstrated the rh seat for us. Tray table was still there, too. At the time, I knew what the car was and how rare it was, but that's as far as my interest went, back then. At the time, there were some neat cars in Dallas, which stayed behind garage doors, except for particular occasions.

In more modern times, the Smith-Corona typewriter would be replaced by a quality laptop computer or tablet on the table. Not sure what the Dictaphone would be upgraded to, but a WiFi Hotspot certainly would be needed . . . or both might be handled by a flagship brand cell phone.

How were the seat belts for the rh seat configured?

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

Ok, so as you are all aware I’m currently restoring this Director car as seen in this thread. It’s a legit 40k mile Michigan car so it was crusty around the edges but the interior is gorgeous and just missing the lamp.

So I bought this one today.

28E38228-9EE0-48EE-912B-6D3D41DC0174.jpeg
BE7483A8-D8FF-4C8B-80A2-9FBEFAB7E479.jpeg
392B872C-97C9-42D3-9F43-33234D7CC62C.jpeg
E86A33F9-91D4-4EC3-81B5-CE5E1F172890.jpeg
E273CB04-F6CA-4CD0-8386-8C3617B2BCD0.jpeg

1671929022587.jpeg

As Ken @SGT FURY stated above the parts car I bought from him was ironically another Mobile Director car that was the unfortunate recipient of a Suburban enema while parked in its owners yard 20 years ago.
a moment of silence please for
1671929676899.jpeg

1671929771932.jpeg

I was recently at Murray Parks getting parts for the Plum car and put my eyes on this Director. He knew quite a bit about it, it was owned by a priest I believe he said who very much liked his Imperials and basically drove this one into the ground
B4B72EED-5E59-4510-A092-DA13824833DF.jpeg
8E55BE09-F3E2-417F-9B25-DF87516A5B56.jpeg
F7EB060B-EC50-48A5-B6CF-0F4CC00C8A96.jpeg
D75164B5-8AF1-48A3-A187-1B45F162410D.jpeg

1671930311336.jpeg

Back in the later 1980s, at the old Fenders Drive-In in northwestern Dallas, TX . . . a few members of the area WPC Club were there. One guy had driven his Imperial up I-35 to (almost) Canada and had loosely formed the "I-35 Imperial Club". Seems that everywhere he stopped for gas, his Imperial was the subject of conversation, so Brooks wrote down their contact information. On this particular day, he brought a friend with him, in his '67 Imperial MD. Apparently the MD was local to the Dallas area (at the time). Seems like it was a dark crimson or similar? We walked out to look at it and it was legit, from what I could see. He demonstrated the rh seat for us. Tray table was still there, too. At the time, I knew what the car was and how rare it was, but that's as far as my interest went, back then. At the time, there were some neat cars in Dallas, which stayed behind garage doors, except for particular occasions.

In more modern times, the Smith-Corona typewriter would be replaced by a quality laptop computer or tablet on the table. Not sure what the Dictaphone would be upgraded to, but a WiFi Hotspot certainly would be needed . . . or both might be handled by a flagship brand cell phone.

How were the seat belts for the rh seat configured?

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67
The RH seat belt is secured to the rotating assembly, not the floor.

Here’s a silver one all but lost in Japan…

That comes AFTER the laptop time. WITH a designated driver, of course.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

Back