SOLD FOR SALE 1971 DODGE MONACO 2 DOOR VINAL TOP 383 4 BBL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
antonio.gif

What about the microphone for the tape unit? Is it with the car? Just curious.

The car is certainly worth saving and correctly restoring. FAR too many orig pieces are already there. Including the heat stove on the lh exhaust manifold. The 5-speaker factory stereo makes it even better!

CBODY67
yes, the microphone was in the glove box in its original box along with the owners manual and both window stickers all in tact!

Burgandy is a one year color
The E8 Russet interior is awesome! 71 only.

This russet interior must be one of the rarest color interiors available.
I believe only the Big cars could get this color.
Not available on ebodies.

@B. Barker ´s Monaco was built at the Belvidere, IL plant. As such, the pictures he’s provided of the rear quarters provide one more datapoint supporting my theory re: the location of the Monaco scripts and emblems/wreaths on the rear quarters of Belvidere- vs. Newark-built 1971 two-doors!

BC9E0931-7A1F-4FA7-85CC-F7E3C8A20441.jpeg

75A5E539-3FAD-4C77-B9C5-1EF128126A8A.jpeg

4EC33806-B2B7-48FF-B77A-E15D262BA9B3.jpeg

1A487BD2-C1E7-4CEE-ADFB-AC97DA18FF59.jpeg

I have to say it: this car and Medina almost look like twins.

@B. Barker ´s Monaco was built at the Belvidere, IL plant. As such, the pictures he’s provided of the rear quarters provide one more datapoint supporting my theory re: the location of the Monaco scripts and emblems/wreaths on the rear quarters of Belvidere- vs. Newark-built 1971 two-doors!
We had a 71 4HT Monaco when I was a kid, and I noticed the asymmetrical placement of the rear fender Monaco scripts as well. I always assumed that it was to simplify the installation of the Brougham scripts on the cars equipped with that package. It was a Belvedere assembly car.

What about the microphone for the tape unit? Is it with the car? Just curious.

The car is certainly worth saving and correctly restoring. FAR too many orig pieces are already there. Including the heat stove on the lh exhaust manifold. The 5-speaker factory stereo makes it even better!

CBODY67

The microphone was part of the tunnel mounted cassette player and allowed the occupants in the car to record thoughts or music on the cassette tapes.

Burgandy is a one year color
The E8 Russet interior is awesome! 71 only.

This russet interior must be one of the rarest color interiors available.
I believe only the Big cars could get this color.
Not available on ebodies.

Actually, the exterior color, burgandy, code GE7 was available at least from 1971 through 1973 on some C bodies according to my color and trim selectors for 1971 - 1973, so while not many buyers may have chosen it, it was available over a 3 year period at least, so it probably wasn't all that rare.

Also, while GE7 was available on only C bodies in 1971, it was used on 1973 Chryslers and Imperials (and maybe Plymouth - not sure), although not on Dodges.

Last edited:
The microphone was part of the tunnel mounted cassette player and allowed the occupants in the car to record thoughts or music on the cassette tapes.

In @B. Barker 's car, the recorder/cassette unit was in the glove box and appears to never have been used. Attached at the bottom of this post is a photo that he sent to me.

Actually, the exterior color, burgandy, code GE7 was available at least from 1971 through 1973 on some C bodies according to my color and trim selectors for 1971 - 1973, so while not many buyers may have chosen it, it was available over a 3 year period at least, so it probably wasn't all that rare.

Also, while GE7 was available on only C bodies in 1971, it was used on 1973 Chryslers and Imperials (and maybe Plymouth - not sure), although not on Dodges.

Indeed. Here is another example of a senior Dodge in GE7 Burgundy Poly: DM43L1D190768, a '71 Dodge Polara Brougham 4-door hardtop that was for sale in 2016 and 2017. That thread contains a number of pictures that show how the GE7 color "travels" under different lighting conditions.

What makes this Monaco rare is that very few 1971 2-door C-body Dodges seem to have survived, and even fewer ever go on sale. On the Monaco side of things, other than my own rust-free Medina that I bought earlier this year, I am aware of (i) @Autoengineer 's superb TX9 (DH23T1D215261 was last sold in 2012 and has since then been pampered in Finland); (ii) a GK6 2-door that also sold in 2012 (which looked a lot like the car for sale here; it ran and drove, which is good, but was less original); (iii) the blue (?) Monacucamonga that @saforwardlook rescued and that @71Polara383 nursed back on the road (and recently sold to an enthusiast who wants to do a full-on rotisserie restoration); (iv) a black 2-door Monaco that @3C's & a D? bought in 2009 and sold a few years later -- that car was still attending shows in Canada as of 2017; (v) a white one (with a 318 ?!) that was for sale in Mexico in late 2016; (vi) and a beautiful white 383-2 with blue top and blue interior that sold to NZ in 2005 and was resold there in 2015.

Closest to the GE7 on sale now is arguably (vii) DH23N1F111282, a loaded but somewhat rusted N-code EW1 white coupe with H6E8 Russet buckets and buddy seat that was for sale several times in 2014 to 2016. It ran and drove, and had just over 35k miles on the odometer. It sold to a flipper for $2.1k on eBay on Dec. 3, 2014.

That's it, AFAIK -- though there have been parts cars of course, like Wyatt's GJ4 Pennsylvania earlier this year. I really hope that this GE7 can be saved.

20191212_121105.JPG

Last edited:
In @B. Barker 's car, the recorder/cassette unit was in the glove box and appears to never have been used. Attached is a photo he sent to me.

Indeed. Here is another example of a senior Dodge in GE7 Burgundy: DM43L1D190768, a '71 Dodge Polara Brougham 4-door hardtop that was for sale in 2016 and 2017.

What makes this Monaco rare is that very few 1971 2-door Dodges seem to have survived, and even fewer ever go on sale. On the Monaco side of things, other than my own Medina that I bought earlier this year, I am aware of @Autoengineer 's superb TX9 (sold in 2012 and now in Finland), of a GK6 2-door that also sold in 2012 (and looks a lot like the car for sale here, but was less original), of the Monacucamonga that @saforwardlook rescued and that @71Polara383 nursed back on the road and recently sold to an enthusiast who wants to do a full-on rotisserie restoration. Add to that a black one that @3C's & a D? sold in 2014. Closest to the GE7 on sale now is arguably DH23N1F111282, a loaded but somewhat rusted N-code white coupe with E8 Russet buckets and buddy seat that was for sale several times in 2014 to 2016. That's it, AFAIK -- though there have been parts cars of course, like Wyatt's GJ4 Pennsylvania earlier this year.

I really hope that this GE7 gets saved.

View attachment 339166
So you haven’t bought this one yet?
I think i found a good new home.
I was sure that this comment ment that you were making the deal, or is it Steve???

folks.

first of all, B. Barker is a great guy .. honest, fair, and pleasure doing business with him.

you all can see the things I obviously need. after i get the monaco home in a couple weeks or less, i will start another thread on it.

no resto work will take place till the fall next year, but you all can see some of the things i need (front/rear valances, wheel opening moulding RR, probably other odds/ends, etc.). it'll take time to collect stuff i figure.

if you have something available, just PM me and we can see if we can sort it out.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back