Found another project ‘74 Suzuki TC125 Prospector

Started tearing my engine down to see how much work or refreshing I need to do. Turns out the eight different puller sets I own are not quite right for motorcycles. So I had to add a few new pullers and installation tools. Good thing they are fairly cheap. I guess now I need to go into the motorcycle repair business.
IMG_8001.jpeg

Engine pictures. I take a lot so I can remember how the little parts go.
IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7926.jpeg
IMG_7927.jpeg
IMG_7928.jpeg
IMG_7931.jpeg
IMG_7932.jpeg
IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_7940.jpeg

I measured the piston and bore. It was actually in really good shape and the bore still relatively round. Spec was no more than 0.002 between 6 different measurements between smallest and largest. Was at 0.001 to 0.0015. Depending on how I held my bore gauge. So I will just hone it out and re-ring. For sitting 36 years it looked pretty good inside the crank case and gearbox. Head was pretty carbon free and the piston had maybe 1/64” of build up. Cleaned off pretty easily. I used to run it wide open so not much chance of buildup.
IMG_7942.jpeg
IMG_7945.jpeg
IMG_7943.jpeg

You must have used good oil at the correct ratio back then .
I ran Golden Spectro on my 75 Yamaha MX250 and my 81 KTM 495 back in the day.

The old Suzuki’s have a pretty robust oil injection system one line lubes the piston and one the main roller bearing. As the throttle increases the pump pressure and volume increases. I am sure we used whatever 2cycle the Cenex carried.

You must have used good oil at the correct ratio back then .
I ran Golden Spectro on my 75 Yamaha MX250 and my 81 KTM 495 back in the day.
I had a 80 Yamaha YZ125 in the mid 80's and I also ran Golden Spectro. Works great

The old Suzuki’s have a pretty robust oil injection system one line lubes the piston and one the main roller bearing. As the throttle increases the pump pressure and volume increases. I am sure we used whatever 2cycle the Cenex carried.
The lack of carbon build up and nice bores lead me to think good oil .

Back