FOUR 1970 300-H / HURSTS on auction all at no reserve!!

Was this the right location in '68, but changed by 70? I would like to see some early reference material showing the correct location.

I've never seen one attached to an exhaust manifold. Usually a short bolt in an empty hole on the front of the cylinder head.

I would put it about anywhere before I put it on the exhaust.

The console shift car with the cornering lights is the Benchmark IMHO and seems to be unrestored. The black overspray partially seen in the engine compartment is just Ziebart protection btw. What it misses after These decades are the Polyglas tires of course.

I have been there and saw all 4 cars.

You are correct the console car was the most interesting of them all. It had partly original paint and was a console car. Pretty clean car.
It sold for the lowest price (as the last one of the four).
A bargain.

The one with the wrong Polyglas tires was restored. But with a lot of flaws forward originality. But it had the most glossy paint.

The other two were just drivers. Wrong colours (shades), old bodywork etcetc. But still shiny paint. Those got more money than the clean original unrestored one.

IMHO buyers must have been clueless in a certain way. Shiny paint sells not originality or factory correctness.

BTW: 300 Hurst are rare in production numbers on the one hand but are not in reality. We have around 50 of those in europe at least.

Daves joke is true. None seem to have been trown away and you can buy one all the time. At least 5-10 are always available. It is just really difficult to find a correctly restored one as most a just drivers.

Carsten

I agree with the crappy cable, but where is the correct location to bolt it to? On my '68 Polara 383 2 bbl it has been attached to the long stud on the (Stock)exhaust manifold ever since I can remember. Manifold secured with nut, negative batter cable, nut.
I did some manual searching and bulletin searching, and I don't find any reference to this connection. Was this the right location in '68, but changed by 70? I would like to see some early reference material showing the correct location.

This is how I remember the neg cable back in the day and for that matter any other ferd or chebbie i've worked on. Hooking it to a heat source would give you problems I imagine other than eventually melting the insulation and the funny asks you will get about the smell of that. I'm sure if we found some metallurgist's or electricians we can get a debate going about it.

Figure it out for yourselves.

Battery.Cable.001.jpg

Battery.Cable.002.jpg

Battery.Cable.003.jpg

Battery.Cable.004.jpg

Battery.Cable.005.jpg

Battery.Cable.006.jpg

Most likely if it's anywhere else than the intake manifold bolt it has been serviced by some pump jockey at a filling station that had a just too short cable on the rack, one of them "That'll Work" kind.

This is how I remember the neg cable back in the day and for that matter any other ferd or chebbie i've worked on. Hooking it to a heat source would give you problems I imagine other than eventually melting the insulation and the funny asks you will get about the smell of that. I'm sure if we found some metallurgist's or electricians we can get a debate going about it.

Figure it out for yourselves.

View attachment 337767

View attachment 337768

View attachment 337769

View attachment 337770

View attachment 337771

View attachment 337772

Most likely if it's anywhere else than the intake manifold bolt it has been serviced by some pump jockey at a filling station that had a just too short cable on the rack, one of them "That'll Work" kind.
I probably did it back in high school after doing the heads in shop class. We didn’t have digital cameras back then. Plus I thought I knew everything.
I didn’t really like that it was hooked there because of the heat, but mistakenly thought that’s where it belonged. That’s why I asked.
Fixed.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I probably did it back in high school after doing the heads in shop class. We didn’t have digital cameras back then. Plus I thought I knew everything.
I didn’t really like that it was hooked there because of the heat, but mistakenly thought that’s where it belonged. That’s why I asked.
Fixed.
View attachment 337777 View attachment 337778

Giving it some more thought would be, why would you want to heat cycle a crimped on fitting of dissimilar metal? In the end result would be moisture would get in there leading to corrosion which makes resistance and who knows the what the heated properties of the copper wire is vs. conductivity. heh.

Back