Frank's at his door as we speak - NOS67/68 Newport tin -$500.00!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Ne...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce312531d&vxp=mtr

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

3. I don't see a reason to buy Surface rusted NOS when painted used ones from dry climates are in better condition at a lower Price. NOS makes only sense when they look pretty much the same way they used to when they came out of the factory and go on the right car, i.e. high Quality resto.

3. I don't see a reason to buy Surface rusted NOS when painted used ones from dry climates are in better condition at a lower Price..
I call "painted used ones from dry climates in better condition at a lower price." UNOBTANIUM.
Where do YOU find them???

I call "painted used ones from dry climates in better condition at a lower price." UNOBTANIUM.
Where do YOU find them???

Well, as far as the common European stuff over here is concerned, you find it very often, near rust free from dry storage; I at least got the Impression some desert salvage Yards for example still Harbor some parts, though this source probably will ,ahem, "dry out" or already is ?
The 500 Ebay Price for the Moment isn't bad though I related to your four figure dealer estimate if he gets his Hands on it.

$500.00 for a door skin and fender for a 68 Chrysler seems a little excessive to me ......... Wheres the demand ....?

If your working on a 68 Chrysler with rusty fenders and doors then your upside down already. Replacements for collision damage perhaps, but used fenders and doors in great condition are not that hard to find, and for a lot less money.

NOS is great for trim and interior stuff...... Body panels .....? who cares.

Didn't notice that's just the door skin, the guy who will redo another door, collision or rust is a hard find. I got a couple of These for other cars in my Basement for at least twenty years. On second thought to cut it up for a partial lower rust repair could still make a Little sense, but only if the Skin is cheap.

The problem I have with NOS metal is it doesn't come with the trim studs. Which means you still need to work the metal.

Chalk this to the Mopar folklore.

I once herd that when they stamped the sheet metal that it was graded, best quality to dark color cars next to the others, all other to inventory for replacements.

So NOS panels would not be all that great.

Alan

I believe it is true that the lower quality or "rejects" went to parts stock. I've heard that from many knowledgeable parts counter guys.

The other issue is how the parts were handled in shipping and storage. They always got beat up pretty good.

Never been a big fan of "Skinnin a door" Allot of work and really hard to make it look factory. Find a good used door paint it and you're good.

Never been a big fan of "Skinnin a door" Allot of work and really hard to make it look factory. Find a good used door paint it and you're good.

This was rarely done even back in the old days I guess. Either you could straighten the original Skin out good or the whole part was gone beyond repair. I think even then relatively lower Labor costs for such a repair wouldn't add up compared to a whole NOS door.

Hello,
68' Newport*** looking for rear lower quarters sheet metal / rear tail light housing that is the piece inside the trunk that both tail lights bolt into / Drivers side floor piece under seat with cross-member for weld in.
Thank you
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back