Freeing up crank windows

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My Fury that I bought last year has had alot of basic work done but in looking forward to warmer weather I have some more projects of course. All of the crank windows are very stiff including the small rear crank windows. {2 door] I have used power assist [pinching the glass to help it up} because I worry about over stressing the crank gears, never mind stripping them!!:eek:
I have done this sort of thing before but was wondering if you have any tips or warnings or parts to get in anticipation of me lubing and freeing these C body windows up .
Thanks as always.

Well I guess it's like all others and I will proceed !

I've tried many times as a stop-gap measure to spray lubricants down the tracks from the window opening, but there's no real way of doing it once and for all from outside or through the gap between the panel and the body...

What happens is over time the grease in the tracks and various mechanisms gets hard... so it's best to remove the inside panels and access the mechanisms. Spray them liberally with WD 40 to soften the grease, clean the tracks out well then regrease liberally with white lithium. Same thing with the rollers and all the other parts (roller channels etc). Do this a couple of times to free up and work the new grease into the parts.

Thanks for your reply. I was planning on removing the panel as I have done before on other cars and I also used lithium after soaking with WD40 etc. You have confirmed what I had thought and I really appreciate you responding.
I haven't worked on a 60's car in ,,,,34 years till I bought my Fury last year!!
Thanks again.

White lithium turns into something hard and crusty over the years in the environment of the door panels. Yes I know I was surprised to learn this too. A spray lubricant oil is what I was told to use.

White lithium turns into something hard and crusty over the years in the environment of the door panels. Yes I know I was surprised to learn this too. A spray lubricant oil is what I was told to use.

Buy a can of KROIL and apply many times and you will have success, I had the same problem on my 65 Chrysler

IMG_0203.JPG

This is the stuff i used to remove the old hardened crap on my quarter window regulators.
Available at Home Depot.

IMG_0635.JPG

This is the reg. i removed to clean and repair. Keep mechanism lubed or break track guides like i did. Let the cleaner soak a bit and scrub with a small brush.
I was able to clean other side regulator in place. I removed inner trim panel and bracket at top of opening. Sprayed cleaner down thru slot each side of glass. After 15 min. dwell time i used a shower back-brush to reach down thru slot to scrub old crap off. I used a non-hardening garage door roller lube. They operate fine now.

Thanks MarPar. I am familiar with that stuff. I use it on my pickup truck to prevent rust. Never thought of that.

Back