Front brakes missing some parts?? 68 Fury III

Steve-o

Reaction score
I drive this car almost daily, Change between this and my VW's

Brakes have always made a squealing noise at very low speed to full stop but lately it's super bad.
So I decided to take it all apart and see what's up. One rear adjuster seized but all else looks ok to me.

I will admit the factory service manual has been fairly useless to this point, however it shows that I should have a bunch more stuff up front than what I actually have!
Looks like a bunch of self adjusting hardware? Like the back brakes have?
Could the lack of these parts cause a squealing? Seems unlikely but I'm no expert on this car. The noise is horrible and LOUD. Doesn't do it at high speed braking.

The rear brakes make a scraping noise all the time so I'm guessing one or both drums out of round? Shoes need to be arched to the drum I'm sure. Shoe wear is uneven.

Also doesn't look like the backing plate or anything was ever painted. Is this how they were back then?
Thanks as always for everyone's help!

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Also, I have all new hoses I plan to replace. Pulls to the right during a "panic" stop.
I did readjust all the brakes when I had it apart.

Definitely missing the self adjuster hardware. If it's fairly original don't stop with the hoses, look at lines, wheel cylinders, master and flush all the fluid. I learned the hard way about picking at it. Go from the pedal back and make it right.

The missing self adjuster hardware will cause the top of the shoe to wear out because the bottom of the shoe does not contact the drum. This will also cause the top of the shoe lining to overheat and probably glaze which is the usual cause of brake squeal. You need to find the appropriate hardware and I would recommend replacing the shoes with a quality factory type shoe. (Craig@mobile parts)

Dave

Craig @mobileparts will have what you need to re-do your brake system. From the shoes, spring kits, wheel cylinders & brake hoses he has and they are the older, better quality brand names our old cars deserve. Especially when you are talking about the brake system.

Primary return spring is wrong and it looks like you are using 2 secondary return spring which will **** up the application of the brake shoe engagement.
Self adjusters are not that important as back then Taxi's had a self adjuster delete option as the self adjusters only work when you stop during a reverse movement and city cabs very rarely backup.
Manual brake adjustment at every oil change works the best as I have found in the cabs I have serviced.
Also I have found self adjusters are pretty much useless on regular passenger cars as most people do a 'lazy' reverse stop.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't mind doing manual brake adjustments as all my other cars are the same way, but I am a huge fan of things being correct, especially brakes.
I'll pop the front drums off and take another look at the drums and shoes. Initial look seemed ok but now that I know the shoes might wear uneven and glaze I'll get a better look.

Seems like the FLAPS has all the self adjusting stuff and spring kits.

What would be the difference from the shoes and hardware I would get FLAPS or from Craig? Organic vs. a semi metallic?
Bonded vs rivets?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't mind doing manual brake adjustments as all my other cars are the same way, but I am a huge fan of things being correct, especially brakes.
I'll pop the front drums off and take another look at the drums and shoes. Initial look seemed ok but now that I know the shoes might wear uneven and glaze I'll get a better look.

Seems like the FLAPS has all the self adjusting stuff and spring kits.

What would be the difference from the shoes and hardware I would get FLAPS or from Craig? Organic vs. a semi metallic?
Bonded vs rivets?
Craig will have quality US made parts. Most of the other stuff is Chicom.

Dave

I have the same problem with my 69 fury I bought all the parts from Craig at mobile parts but the hardware kits have a Chubby blue spring for the lower part of shoes that hold the adjusters together ,,,, the owners manual shows a smaller spring like the ones that are used on the rear wheels so I bought another kit and put those on the front as well because the blue spring will not allow you to use spring adjusters , does anyone know the correct way? Hardware springs for these drums because the kits don’t jive with the owners manual

I have the same problem with my 69 fury I bought all the parts from Craig at mobile parts but the hardware kits have a Chubby blue spring for the lower part of shoes that hold the adjusters together ,,,, the owners manual shows a smaller spring like the ones that are used on the rear wheels so I bought another kit and put those on the front as well because the blue spring will not allow you to use spring adjusters , does anyone know the correct way? Hardware springs for these drums because the kits don’t jive with the owners manual
Owners manual would not have anything about the brake service, just to be clear here do you mean 'Service Manual'?
There is a difference between service manuals as in 'FSM' (Factory Service Manual) and Chiltons or Motors etc.
You want to consult the FSM for your particular model/year for best results.

Back