Front end rebuild kit and disc brake questios

ike61

Reaction score
Howdy all. I have a 68 fury two door sedan. Please recommend me a front end rebuild kit. I am swapping disc brakes from a 73 fury. Should i go with power brakes or ok to leave manual brakes. I know the 73 booster wont work with my column shift so i will have to find the correct one if i go with power. Thanks

Manual discs will stop worse than your manual drums do now. You will need a '68-'69 power brake pedal and mounting plate. Booster from '68-'70 is the correct booster for this application. You will also need to install a brake proportioning valve to rebalance the brake system. Most '68's still had 14" wheels which need to be replaced to run the '73 brake rotors and calipers. You will also need to upgrade to a disc brake master cylinder.

As far as the front end rebuild goes, try to find US made front end components and avoid AutoBone and CarCrap ChiCom junk like the plague, it is all poor quality. Craig at mobile parts, a vendor on this site should have everything you need.

Dave

As Dave and many many more on this site know,
A) welcome Aboard, Ike61, &
B) yes, I do have every drop of your front end,
The Suspension: Upper & LOWER Ball Joints, Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushings....
The Steering: Inner & Outer Tie Rods & SLEEVES, Idler Arm & PITMAN ARM.....
The Rest: Inner & Outer Sway Bar Bushings, & Strut Rod Bushings.....

All top notch Quality --- it will be once for life....

Because of forum rules, I can't leave my phone number out here in the open.... P.M. me if you would like....
Yours, Craig.....

Last edited:
Manual discs will stop worse than your manual drums do now. You will need a '68-'69 power brake pedal and mounting plate. Booster from '68-'70 is the correct booster for this application. You will also need to install a brake proportioning valve to rebalance the brake system. Most '68's still had 14" wheels which need to be replaced to run the '73 brake rotors and calipers. You will also need to upgrade to a disc brake master cylinder.

As far as the front end rebuild goes, try to find US made front end components and avoid AutoBone and CarCrap ChiCom junk like the plague, it is all poor quality. Craig at mobile parts, a vendor on this site should have everything you need.

Dave
So if I have a 68 polara with power disc brakes can I just update my stuff to 73 rotors a calibers with no issues?

So if I have a 68 polara with power disc brakes can I just update my stuff to 73 rotors a calibers with no issues?

The '68 Budd dual piston system used a different lower ball joint that does not fit the spindle for later single piston calipers. If you have the '73 lower control arms to go with this conversion, it should be a straight bolt in. The disc brake booster in '68 is fine for your conversion as long as it is in good shape. You may need to fabricate new tubing to the front brakes as the brake hose locations are probably also different.

Dave

Last edited:
Back