Front Parking brake Cable

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well, I'm back to getting some work done on the '68 NYer. I've replaced both rear parking brake cables and now I'm working on the front one.

How in the world do you disconnect it from the pedal assembly? I've considered pulling the pedal assemble, but it looks like it would be a real bear to be getting back into place and put the bolts in.

I'm open to suggestions, please... I'd rather not take that assemble out if possible.

There is a locating pin that lines up with a hole in the side of the brake assy and it just slides out, it isn't locked in at all. Then there is a little nut with a u-shaped bracket that holds the cable housing in place too. You will have to get on your back with a flashlight and have a good look to see what I mean. I will see if I have a picture i can post.

Ok here goes, I have circled where you will find the places to look. The top circle is whee the pin appears when you line up the hole by moving the foot pedal until you see it to get it out. The lower circle is where you will find the bolt and U shaped bracket holding the cable housing in place. Remove that too. BRAKE EXAMPLE.jpg

BRAKE EXAMPLE.jpg

Thanks for the picture.

Mine looks different then this. I'll try to get a picture of it in the next couple of days. What set me off was the two studs that stick out the front of yours. The one I'm dealing with has a bolt that goes through the front out toward the fender, then you put two bolts in that go from back to front (position very much like the studs.

I did manage to get the cable out. This is not per the FSM. Since the cable was busted I set the parking brake then with needle nose pliers reached inside the assembly and pulled a 1/2" more cable inside. The I noticed if I pulled the cable toward the passenger side of the car with the pliers the barrel on the top would come real close to being out of the bracket. With a bit of fidgeting it came out.

The next bit of fun will be to get the new one slipped up in there and installed. That's for another evening though. Time for a little bit of Daddy time with my 14 month old.

I'll post an update and hopefully some pictures after I get the cable in.

Back