Fuel Guage

Julesva5

Reaction score
All - I put in a new tank and fuel sending unit recently, and while the guage definitely performs better, on a full tank it still only moves to show the tank 3/4 full. Is there some adjustment on the guage itself to show it 4/4 full when it has a full tank?

Thanks!

Mark
1968 Plymouth Fury III Convertible

markmarkmarkmark -

the gauge is just your view, the action is back at the sender. there is another post running right now with what the ohm readings should be at empty, half, full - i do not know them off the top of my head.

try not to die -

- saylor

I had to modify my sending arm/float quite a bit to get it to read properly.
I had to shorten the arm up so it would swing the full range
Be sure to test it outside the tank when the tank is near empty of course, otherwise you will be wearing it!

Might be best to check it with a full and verified 5 gallons of fuel in the tank than to worry about "full".

I have a friend who had several A-body cars from the later 1960s. He noted, one night as we were coasting into a fuel station "on fumes", that when all of the similar cars he'd owned got to about 1/8th tank, they were really at "E". From the school of "hard knocks".

CBODY67

Might be best to check it with a full and verified 5 gallons of fuel in the tank than to worry about "full".

I have a friend who had several A-body cars from the later 1960s. He noted, one night as we were coasting into a fuel station "on fumes", that when all of the similar cars he'd owned got to about 1/8th tank, they were really at "E". From the school of "hard knocks".

CBODY67
We discovered that the hard way!
Dad picked up a brand new 68 Signet and we headed to Florida the next day. Just north Cincinatti ran out of gas on I-75. As we waited for AAA dad mentioned that the gas gauge hadn't moved in quite a while.

Thanks all. I'm inclined to leave it as is and realize that when I'm at 3/4 full I'm full, and at 1/2 I'm at 3/4, etc. Rather than mess with it at this point. Appreciate the responses - this board is always so helpful.

I have had several cars with gauge readings I could not count on. My method was to fill the tank and note the miles. In 250 miles it's time to find a gas stop.:) (in some of my cars that 250 was pushing it).
My son still teases me about that but with my sticky note of miles to go in front of me I never ran out.

Back