Fuel Pump Placement

Furyus67

Reaction score
I am swapping my 318 LA for a 318 magnum in my 1967 Fury III 2dr hardtop. I opted to stick with the stock cam. Doing so I am going to use a fuel pump rather than use the cam snout bolt or getting a long snout cam to run the mechanical fuel pump. I have never installed an electric pump before and I am searching for the right place to mount it. I have read that you should mount it on the frame back near the tank but, make sure to keep it lower than the tank.

I am a little lost as to where to put it. has anyone every hooked up an electrip pump on a C-Body? Does anyone have pictures!?

I have inserted some pictures below of my car. Hopefully they aren't too confusing to figure out the angle of the photo. The Fuel line goes out towards the passenger side, then runs on the outside of the frame , then more towards the middle of the car it comes back inside the frame
Picture1.png
IMG_20200502_172839.jpg
IMG_20200502_172859.jpg
IMG_20200502_172903.jpg
IMG_20200502_172920.jpg

The pump should always be mounted slightly below the bottom of the tank pick up tube, you get a gravity assist that way. For an external pump you will need to fabricate a bracket to mount the pump. In line pumps typically need a larger diameter fuel line both on the inlet and outlet side of the fuel pump, minimum of 3/8" to keep the pump from starving for fuel and overheating. They use fuel flow to cool themselves. This will also mean that you will need to find a tank sending unit with a 3/8" hose connection.
A better long term solution would be in in tank fuel pump, this will require an aftermarket gas tank and a fuel regulator to drop the fuel pressure to carb specs. Also will need a return line to the tank for the excess fuel the regulator will bypass.
I do not know if anybody makes an after market in tank fuel supply for you application, I know that they make them for B-Bodies.

Dave

I'll agree with Dave and then say I've done it the diy/hack way for 11 years now. My fury has the oem 5/16" line with the CA emissions vapor line as the return.
Walbro 255 pump hanging in front of the leaf spring mount.
It feeds my efi turbocharged 383.

The pump should always be mounted slightly below the bottom of the tank pick up tube, you get a gravity assist that way. For an external pump you will need to fabricate a bracket to mount the pump. In line pumps typically need a larger diameter fuel line both on the inlet and outlet side of the fuel pump, minimum of 3/8" to keep the pump from starving for fuel and overheating. They use fuel flow to cool themselves. This will also mean that you will need to find a tank sending unit with a 3/8" hose connection.
A better long term solution would be in in tank fuel pump, this will require an aftermarket gas tank and a fuel regulator to drop the fuel pressure to carb specs. Also will need a return line to the tank for the excess fuel the regulator will bypass.
I do not know if anybody makes an after market in tank fuel supply for you application, I know that they make them for B-Bodies.

Dave
Is something like this what you are referring to?
Holley Sniper 19-350 Sniper Diecast 340 LPH In-Tank RetroFit Fuel Module w/Return

I'll agree with Dave and then say I've done it the diy/hack way for 11 years now. My fury has the oem 5/16" line with the CA emissions vapor line as the return.
Walbro 255 pump hanging in front of the leaf spring mount.
It feeds my efi turbocharged 383.
Do you have a picture of how you have yours mounted?

Thinking outside the box and inside the tank how about getting the pump out of a 92 up Dakota and take it and the tank to a radiator shop or the like and have them modify the tank for the pump?
Then get the ECU from the same truck and install it.
You can keep the multiport injection and use all the sensors.
I'm sure you know the distributor on the Magnums don't set ignition timing. They set the injector synch.

Do you have a picture of how you have yours mounted?
not a good one and the car isn't here in Chicago atm. fuel pump at the back and filter off a camaro in front of it. Make sure you replace the rubber hose at the sender to hardline, I killed my first pump in less than a month sucking rubber bits from the nasty old hose.

ffp.PNG

IMG_20200507_184830.jpg
I was under the car looking for a good mounting place again. Can you mount these small pumps sideways like this or does it have to lay flat?

My walbro doesn't care because it's a slip fit into it's bracket. I wouldn't think yours would care either

any comments on the Holley red pump for carbs seen them put as far forward as the front fenderwell

Back