Fuselage - Drums to Disc Brake Conversion

So here is the current pwr brake booster....trash or keeper? (yeh the whole rig is grungy)

20160404_124744.jpg

20160404_124758.jpg

So here is the current pwr brake booster....trash or keeper? (yeh the whole rig is grungy)
I looked up on AutoZone's site and they show different ones for drum and disc brakes. I looked up a picture and it looks identical to the 67 - 68 one I put on my 300. Now for my personal spin on this, I have owned over 40 Chrysler vehicles over the years, numerous 1969's. I had a 69 Newport that I had a wreck with because of a bad power booster, (Jammed in the applied position). Spend the time and use the correct parts and safely enjoy you ride. It is getting harder to find crash parts for them.

So Im gonna need a new pwr brake booster as well? Can't use the one already on the car...its a "pwr" drum booster....makes no difference? Great...it's kind of tricky swapping out brake boosters from what I've seen others do.
I am sure others have already commented on this, as I am still two pages behind. But even so....

Against some advice I used my drum brake booster. I've had ZERO problems with it. None. So, my advice, if you don't want to go thorough the hassle and expense of replacing your booster, don't.

RockAuto only shows one booster.
The bottom line: you need a dual diaphragm booster.
Yours looks like a dual diaphragm.
Is it still working good? Leave it.
On the other hand, how much life is left in that booster.
Now would be the ideal time for another one if you don't mind a little extra work now instead of a lot more work later.

I know... I was no help. :(

Alrighty...revised parts list...all 73' unless otherwise noted:
Rotors
Inner & outer wheel bearings
69 - 71 dual dia. disc brake booster (maybe?) gonna post a pic shortly.
Calipers
Hydraulic disk brake hoses
Proportioning valve (1?)
Disc brake pads
Cotter pins (assorted)
Rust penetrate (PB Blaster / Pyroil Brake parts cleaner on hand)

Good to go? I wanna make sure I got everything down before starting ;)
Check the bolts. If they are rusted, replace them. However, you will not be able to find (unless they are better available on the East Coast than they are here) the carriage bolts with the holes for cotter pins. I use two sets of nuts on the back of each bolt.

RockAuto only shows one booster.
The bottom line: you need a dual diaphragm booster.
Yours looks like a dual diaphragm.
Is it still working good? Leave it.
On the other hand, how much life is left in that booster.
Now would be the ideal time for another one if you don't mind a little extra work now instead of a lot more work later.

I know... I was no help. :(
AAAArrrggh!

Aaarrgh.jpg

AutoZone shows both boosters. the one for disc brakes is $ 102.99 with a $63.00 core. If it is out there for that price why take a chance.
Its not so much the money as it is just doing this swap right...the first time....because there may not get to be a second time.

Gary, I had ONE leaf spring bushing squeek. Just one.
Look at where I went with that.

I had ONE sticky lifter. Just one.

I dinged my wheel opening lip.

I......

Can't remember if I commented on the single vs dual diaphragm on this thread earlier or not but here's something to consider.

IF the single in fact provides enough boost for discs, why would the factory go to the expense of specing a dual. They will absolutely positively never spend an extra nickel unless it's necessary.

Get the dual or at the very least get a 15/16" master cylinder to maximise the line pressure.

Kevin

Get the dual or at the very least get a 15/16" master cylinder to maximise the line pressure

15/16 these are not A bodies, I think the stock m/c for a 71 Newport is 1 1/32 bore this is what I used on my Challenger as a upgrade, high solid pedal. My 2 cents.

15/16 is usually spec'd for manual brakes. Smaller piston makes more pressure at the expense of more pedal travel.

I would just use the correct booster and be done with it. The factory didn't pick that spec just because.

Kevin

Back