Fuselage - Drums to Disc Brake Conversion

70_NPORT

Reaction score
I know this is not the tech forum, but I want to speak specifically to the fuselage crowd...and I have a feeling the answer will either be yes or no, LOL. I'm contemplating the drum to disc brake swap on my 70' Newport. It currently has 11" power drums all the way around. I know these were probably cool way back in 1970, and they still get the job done now ok. However there has been one or two times when I kinda would have liked discs up front....it came too close for comfort. I know there are complete kits out there that can be had to accomplish this, but I just saw nice brand name rotors at Rock Auto for $50 bucks a pop. I figure If I grab these, I could source everything else (calipers, pads, clips, new rubber brake hose..yada yada).
So then the BIG yea or nay question is can I keep my original spindles for the power disc brake set up??
20160327_140211.jpg

Last edited:
No. Drum spindles are different than disc.

Preferred spindle is a 73 disc but they're getting scarce.

Next in line is the 69-72 disc spindle and with the rotor price for those now reasonable, it opens up a lot more available spindles.

Kevin

No. Drum spindles are different than disc.

Preferred spindle is a 73 disc but they're getting scarce.

Next in line is the 69-72 disc spindle and with the rotor price for those now reasonable, it opens up a lot more available spindles.

Kevin
Got it, thanks. I would've loved not to have to replace the spindles, but then that would've made things too easy, of course. At least I know what I need to look for.

I have. Just about every C on here has. Great Option. Cheap, Plenteful. And you use The Drum Spindles
I'm definitely leaning that way. What about the rim size situation....brackets won't clear OEM 14" rims...so this means ya gotta switch to 15" rims front (and rear).

Last edited:
Ford Rotors. But Dodge Calipers....and Gm Brake Hoses.

The Kit making you go with 15 inch Wheels instead of 14, I consider a blessing. 14s on a Cbody are Wrong. You can practicly live in those Wheel wells.

Ford Rotors. But Dodge Calipers....and Gm Brake Hoses.

The Kit making you go with 15 inch Wheels instead of 14, I consider a blessing. 14s on a Cbody are Wrong. You can practicly live in those Wheel wells.
Yea...big 10-4 on that....

OK. I HAVE to bring something up since we're talking Ford rotors on Mopar spindles.
Someone I respect very much as a Mopar guru, and will remain unnamed, measured the inner and outter bearings in the kit and they are not an exact fit and results in scoring.
Now I cant remember if the bearings didn't fit perfectly on the spindle or in the rotor.

Now, I heard this once, and only once and never again so it may be bull pucky.

Whats the original application for the bearings anyway or are they supplied by scarebird.

OK. I HAVE to bring something up since we're talking Ford rotors on Mopar spindles.
Someone I respect very much as a Mopar guru, and will remain unnamed, measured the inner and outter bearings in the kit and they are not an exact fit and results in scoring.
Now I cant remember if the bearings didn't fit perfectly on the spindle or in the rotor.

Now, I heard this once, and only once and never again so it may be bull pucky.
Hmmm.......that's an interesting tidbit of info right there. I've been doing a little digging around and found more than a few negative comments about the Scarebird brackets. That doesn't mean theyre trash (to me), just means I'm not gonna drop the hammer yet.

I think inner Bearings are Ferd.
Outers are Mopar.
They give you a Sleeve to put on the Knuckle also.

IMHO, I would source the parts to do it with OEM parts. This kit might be good, but it's still a kit.

Do it once and do it right.

IMHO, I would source the parts to do it with OEM parts. This kit might be good, but it's still a kit.

Do it once and do it right.
I would PREFER to keep it all OEM parts. The issue is just I don't know if I'm up to the job; removing the old spindles and installing new pieces off another car. It's a big job for me, even IF everything goes right (which I know won't happen, lol).

Gary, keep looking for OEM, the job will be easier and you won't regret it. Recently there was a member here that had the whole setup for sale.

Breaking down the front end and removing the spindles is not that difficult, I just did this last year to refresh my vert.

Find out if this one is still available, '71 with disks being hauled away after having its heart removed.

Well, you guys won’t like this one, sorry….(TNT b body transplant)

Gary, I did this swap on my 66 300, I used the 72 spindles and it turned out the wheel bearings are the same inner and outer. It is more work to change the spindles, but you will be using parts engineered for the application. Also if something breaks you can go anywhere and get replacement parts. Don't forget to change the master cylinder to a disc brake unit.

Gary, keep looking for OEM, the job will be easier and you won't regret it. Recently there was a member here that had the whole setup for sale.

Breaking down the front end and removing the spindles is not that difficult, I just did this last year to refresh my vert.

Find out if this one is still available, '71 with disks being hauled away after having its heart removed.

Well, you guys won’t like this one, sorry….(TNT b body transplant)
Thanks James. That 71' was towed away along loong time ago. I've seen it before (shame what happened to it). If I understand correctly special tools might be needed (I'm sort of following these guys). I've never done this before I'm just scared of mucking it up I guess.
C-Body Disc Brake Conversion - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Gary, I did this swap on my 66 300, I used the 72 spindles and it turned out the wheel bearings are the same inner and outer. It is more work to change the spindles, but you will be using parts engineered for the application. Also if something breaks you can go anywhere and get replacement parts. Don't forget to change the master cylinder to a disc brake unit.
Yep....the orig MC is on its way out. Thanks TT55.

Back