Fuselage - Drums to Disc Brake Conversion

stayin-alive.jpg
anybody here used to wear this stuff??? lol

anybody here used to wear this stuff??? lol
I never did... I hated disco almost as much as I hate rap.

For a while, I kept my race car in a shop up behind this bar that would have disco nights. I stayed out of that bar for many reasons, but it was interesting to watch the customers come and go.

However I can tell by spinning the wheels the pads are dragging on the rotors. The brake pedal piston that rides inside the MC - the length needs to be adjusted.

If you can spin the wheel with your hand with a light push, that is normal for disc brakes. They will never "freewheel" if you give them a spin.

If you have to really grab a hold on the wheel to move it, that is another thing entirely.

Kevin

If you can spin the wheel with your hand with a light push, that is normal for disc brakes. They will never "freewheel" if you give them a spin.

If you have to really grab a hold on the wheel to move it, that is another thing entirely.

Kevin
The wheels will spin with little effort; but I was hearing what sounded like the pads dragging a bit on each rotor as I spun the wheel around.

So I went out and drove around a bit more today. The new discs are working very nicely. The car will stop on "half" a dime, nice and smooth without the slightest hint of pulling to either side. The front end will dip down a little bit during a panic stop but I guess that is to be expected. So far, so good.

I drove a 70 4 speed RR every day for a few years and then one day I had to take Dad's car ... got about 70 feet down the road and went for 2nd gear. No clutch pedal but there was a big wide pedal
Oh my. Haha....hope you didn't hurt yourself.

It was pretty shocking to say the least but me and sis and little brother were all OK. Good laugh after we calmed down from it

Cheers Gary. Yeah we could have but thankfully all were OK.

Needless to say that never happened again.

A friend did that in a 70 RR. He had a 57 Chevy that he raced in a gas class. He had bought the RR to replace the Chevy and to get into a stock class. His first pass in the RR wasn't good.... The car had one of those early Hurst "auto sticks" that looked just like a stick shift. He staged, went to shift to second... did the shifter right (at least) and stabbed the brake pedal with his left foot.

It was embarrassing, but no damage. It was his last pass down the drag strip though.

The second to last pass was more disastrous. He wrecked the 57 Chevy.

The guy that was helping him had the steering wheel off.... It had that black stripe on the wheel that tells you when the car is aimed the right direction. Did his burn out etc. and staged the car, making sure the black stripe was at 12 o'clock as it should be.

His helper hadn't put the wheel on right.....

He dropped the clutch and the car carried the wheels through first as always. He hit the clutch to shift and the nose went back down... with the wheels cocked over to the side just enough to lose it. He ended up rolling the car.

He was a good wrench... and kept racing, but with a "hired gun" in the driver's seat.

Back