Fuselage Fury HP engines

The tag is surprisingly devoid of options, was that the norm for that plant?

Early yes. By later in the year, Windsor coded a lot more. You start to see the change in May. (what was coded, when it was coded and even where it was coded on the varied by year, plant and time of year)

69_Windsor_Late_Codes.jpg

The difference between the 335 horse HP assembly in the 68/69 B bodies and the 70 B/E bodies is the use of the higher lift cam originally used in the '67 440 375 horse assembly. There are 2 and 4bbl exhaust manifolds designed to fit the various body styles but there are no manifolds specific to a 68-70 HP assembly.

There was no C body 383-4bbl assembly with the higher lift cam like there was for the B and E bodies. All 383-4 C body assemblies came with the standard cam.
Thank you. I did state, "If I remember correctly".

[unlicensed air cleaner.

View attachment 303175[/QUOTE]
Wouldn’t that look like a sombrero???

Don’t forget e bodies get twisted up with the 330 vs 335 horse motor too. I had a ‘70 grand coupe w a 330 horse 383 4 barrel. It ran pretty hard. I just chalk it up to marketing...

Further Chrysler Corp documentation to indicate that the 383-4 in the Fury was considered by Chrysler Corp to be a HP engine.

69_Fury0009.jpg
69-25-1_page3.jpg

Okay, here is my five cents worth, if the engine blocked is stamped with a "HP" on the pad, I'm calling it a HP engine. Did the 330 horse engines have HP stamped on them?

Further Chrysler Corp documentation to indicate that the 383-4 in the Fury was considered by Chrysler Corp to be a HP engine.

It actually reinforces the opposite. It shows the C body 383-4 doesn't have the high performance cam like the optional E86 440 does.
The C body 383-4 has the same cam as the 383-2 bbl. IF it had the high performance cam, then it would have been the same assembly and it rated at 335 horse like the B/E body assembly.

Okay, here is my five cents worth, if the engine blocked is stamped with a "HP" on the pad, I'm calling it a HP engine. Did the 330 horse engines have HP stamped on them?

From 68-70? No.

It actually reinforces the opposite. It shows the C body 383-4 doesn't have the high performance cam like the optional E86 440 does.
The C body 383-4 has the same cam as the 383-2 bbl. IF it had the high performance cam, then it would have been the same assembly and it rated at 335 horse like the B/E body assembly.

upload_2019-7-20_6-37-5.png

My 2 cents...
Yes the 383 HP in C bodies used the same cam as 2bbl. Hence 5hp drop versus the Road Runner.
But...
The HP engine had higher compression 10:1 versus the 9.2 in the 2bbl. Hence premiun fuel requirement.
As we all know the HP engine in the C's came with HP manifolds (right side same as B&E bodies).
As mentioned,the B/E 383 HP came with the 440 camshaft.
In regards to the air cleaner,correct me if I am wrong, 69 saw a shift from dual snorkel to unsilenced version.
Both are C body correct depending on build date and/or plant or what was available during manufacturing.
The 440 375 horse still used the dual snorkel air cleaner.
Hope this helps.

My 2 cents...
Yes the 383 HP in C bodies used the same cam as 2bbl. Hence 5hp drop versus the Road Runner.
But...
The HP engine had higher compression 10:1 versus the 9.2 in the 2bbl. Hence premiun fuel requirement.
As we all know the HP engine in the C's came with HP manifolds (right side same as B&E bodies).
As mentioned,the B/E 383 HP came with the 440 camshaft.
In regards to the air cleaner,correct me if I am wrong, 69 saw a shift from dual snorkel to unsilenced version.
Both are C body correct depending on build date and/or plant or what was available during manufacturing.
The 440 375 horse still used the dual snorkel air cleaner.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, the only thing I would add is that my late production 440 HP had the unsilenced air cleaner.

Back