Fuselage Prices/Supply/Demand/Price History--opinions, predictions, thoughts in general

I still say what goes up eventually comes down. Now I don't pay much attention to Hagerty values but I do find their appreciation charts interesting. Look up an basic C body from a Fury to Polara to Newport to New Yorker with an engine from 318 to 383-2V and the bar is flat from 2011 onward. Now a Sport Fury GT does show some appreciation.

Ive been passionate about Cs since I was 15 or so, which makes it 35 years now. I took a lot of abuse during my teen years for loving a C body dodge while everyone else was loving muscle and go-fast cars. So I have been watching the prices for one hell of a long time and I really never thought I would see their value as high as they are right now . For the last 19 years that I have been on the internet and the message boards guys have been saying their values are rising and I have been denying it all along, Yet, here we are values have risen , I dont know , what , 10 fold or more?

It seems to me the 70 and 71 cars are the most elusive of the Cs. I only see the value slowly and steadily rising to a point and then they will decline but not for another 20 years. Even as I look for a decent parts car 71 two door the pickings are slim and usually toasted and being held for a kings ransom. Certainly not what I would think as cost worthy but with so few to pick from you have no choice.

I am one of the few here willing to put a higher than normal value on our beloved Cs. Again, with so few available, you gotta dig. Ive always believed a expensive unrestored car is more important than a cheap rusty one.

They arent an investment , I have them till death do us part, because I love them and deeply
Dave - You and I are on the same page!I have been a lover of c body cars ever since I was a kid. Every few years my dad would come home with a new chrysler , dodge or plymouth. My favorite was the 73 newport. I even remember going into the chrysler dealership and picking up a 73 chrysler brochure and spending time admiring these cars and wondered how I would order one if I was an adult! My passion for these cars has never died and now am the happy owner of 2 73 newports that will also stay with me until my passing. These cars have given me hours of enjoyment. Best of all this forum has given me a chance to share that passion with others on this website. I have met some really nice people here and appreciate you knowledge. My cars are a part of my life and always will be. My 73 mist green newport is my daily driver in the summer and attracts a crowd wherever I go. My navajo is my show car, a car I looked for for years and finally found and have owned for 20 years. That car and special package is just my ultimate favorite. One day I will finish my 73 2dr Dodge Polara VIP model. Still collecting parts and working on the restoration but will be beautiful one day when finished. I guess the value money wise does not matter to me at all. The fun and the pleasure of them does.Long live this website and our cars!

Even as I look for a decent parts car 71 two door the pickings are slim and usually toasted and being held for a kings ransom. Certainly not what I would think as cost worthy but with so few to pick from you have no choice.

I am one of the few here willing to put a higher than normal value on our beloved Cs. Again, with so few available, you gotta dig. Ive always believed a expensive unrestored car is more important than a cheap rusty one.
Thinking about selling my '71 Chrysler 300, 2 door. It has a 440, power buckets seats, console, power windows, A/C, Cruise, etc. Oh, and plenty of rust :-0 Just gotta get off my butt and post some pictures, plus see if the motor is free. I have the title and keys.

Thinking about selling my '71 Chrysler 300, 2 door. It has a 440, power buckets seats, console, power windows, A/C, Cruise, etc. Oh, and plenty of rust :-0 Just gotta get off my butt and post some pictures, plus see if the motor is free. I have the title and keys.
Pics pls.

Thank you...sounds like she is well optioned and desirable. I need a polara however.

That is a very nice car. It would be a good starting point for someone.

IDK if most C bodies will ever have much value. Since the Imperials arrived, I have received lots of interesting comments from younger folks as well as older. IMO while we may except very low fuel economy numbers, much of the newest generation won't. I loved big cruisers from an early age... but that's just me. I seem to like my toys to be big ones. I don't feel it's going to get much easier to keep these cars on the road in the future... so I really wanted to get mine now and they are strictly for my pleasure. I don't know if I would ever be able to sell better than break even after all the receipts add up... I will likely lose and I don't care.

Speculation in the collectable car hobby has been more of a curse than a blessing IMO. Yes the numbers trend up, but after expense of ownership usually are not great investments for the sake of investing unless you manage to pick the next hot trend or have something very desirable.

As a younger man, I wanted muscle and settled for the cruisers... mostly due to prices. These days I want the cruiser and tend to think of the muscle as cool, but unnecessary expense and hassle for the life I would give it. Like the older guys I would see in a really hot car when I was young... I don't plan to race it or wring it out, so what good would it really do me or I it? Our C bodies will continue to offer an unmatched highway experience, but they will know the car is old the first time they try to park it. A modern turning radius is much tighter, these cars are quite large and the newer self parking features will make things so only the dedicated will even want to try parking one of our land barges.

Someone will love your car. Maybe it will be preserved. If you are doing more than just enjoying it in your own way, good luck to you. Few ever will be worth that much, but the priceless memories you can create owning one should be what this is all about.

One thing I've noticed, I follow various C-body, Plymouth Fury groups on Facebook, this forum ofcourse, is that I almost never see anyone have a 70 Sport Fury anywhere? 71's are relatively common to see.
Are they really rare in North American standards or what?

Really? I see the 70 as a much more common car. Until the few here arrived within the last couple years they were non existent
As I said however, 70 and 71s appear to be the most elusive of the C bodies

Just thought I'd chime in with my purchase last year. I bought my 1970 Newport convertible for $8,000. Car has AM 8-Track, Power Discs, and A.C.. Had rust at tops of quarters by the convertible opening and forward of the driver's side wheel well. Had those spots repaired and the driver's side rocker panel replaced for $2,000. The shop did an excellent job in blending the paint. It's now a great cruiser we will be enjoying for years to come.
Not sure where prices will go. However, I agree that it's more about the exact car and not just a model. Truth is, you won't lose as long as you enjoy the time spent on your car.

20160104_115500.jpg

20160104_115513.jpg

One thing I've noticed, I follow various C-body, Plymouth Fury groups on Facebook, this forum ofcourse, is that I almost never see anyone have a 70 Sport Fury anywhere? 71's are relatively common to see.
Are they really rare in North American standards or what?
Hmmm... working on a '70 Sport Fury right now. Hope to have it running within the month with a transplanted '69 440. There's more details in a different thread.

My feeling about this whole C body thread is this. I don't really care if they appreciate a lot or a little. I am thankful they are still available at a relatively reasonable cost compared to other Mopars. If I own it ,take care of it,, get old and sell it for what I paid for it in my mind I still made out good. A free rental. I'm not into this for the money personally and I doubt they will go down in value. I have seen the 65 and 66's going up to some ridiculous prices. I have seen a 68 fury convertible in the ads for over 50,000!!!!
Wish me luck though, I am going to be looking at a 2 door 69 Fury for sale with a 440.
I haven't owned a full sized car like this in many years.

My feeling about this whole C body thread is this. I don't really care if they appreciate a lot or a little. I am thankful they are still available at a relatively reasonable cost compared to other Mopars. If I own it ,take care of it,, get old and sell it for what I paid for it in my mind I still made out good. A free rental. I'm not into this for the money personally and I doubt they will go down in value. I have seen the 65 and 66's going up to some ridiculous prices. I have seen a 68 fury convertible in the ads for over 50,000!!!!
Wish me luck though, I am going to be looking at a 2 door 69 Fury for sale with a 440.
I haven't owned a full sized car like this in many years.
Good luck... and wait to see how you like the fuel bill.

I have a '69 Polara police pursuit w/ a 440 and all of the go-fast goodies. For 20 years, I wanted one and I finally got one! It has the CHP package, but was actually used by a different agency. I overpaid for it because it is my dream car. I don't care if it appreciates in value or not. It's a beautiful, brawny piece of Mopar and police history and I love it! I'm resurrecting it as fast as money and family permits. Mrmopar has been gracious enough to advise me along the way. I hope to post pictures soon.

Good luck... and wait to see how you like the fuel bill.

Yes if I buy it I will brace for it lol. But then again I could buy a Prius for great mileage and pay 28000 for the car.

Just thought I'd chime in with my purchase last year. I bought my 1970 Newport convertible for $8,000. Car has AM 8-Track, Power Discs, and A.C.. Had rust at tops of quarters by the convertible opening and forward of the driver's side wheel well. Had those spots repaired and the driver's side rocker panel replaced for $2,000. The shop did an excellent job in blending the paint. It's now a great cruiser we will be enjoying for years to come.
Not sure where prices will go. However, I agree that it's more about the exact car and not just a model. Truth is, you won't lose as long as you enjoy the time spent on your car.
Hey Hey!! What did you do, steal my car????
70driversside.JPG

What it looked like when I first bought it. Notice the missing front wheel well trim. I noticed yours does not have the passenger mirror though.
70passenger.JPG

Back