Fuselage Quality

I think it's fair to say that most cars, especially in the 60's and 70's were never designed or intended to live much more than 5 to 7 years with proper maintenance and good treatment. They only got to sell them once, and hopefully get it back once as a good used car.

I'm wondering if different assembly plants had different methods of corrosion protection/quality control. Seems like the really nasty rotted cars I've come across all came from Belvidere Assembly. Not saying Windsor and Newark cars don't rust, just seems like the D vins are almost always rotted...

I'm wondering if different assembly plants had different methods of corrosion protection/quality control. Seems like the really nasty rotted cars I've come across all came from Belvidere Assembly. Not saying Windsor and Newark cars don't rust, just seems like the D vins are almost always rotted...

They're the most common for your stuff of interest

Yeah , your absolutely right. just like 1st gen Durango’s. That heater core job was the last straw for a lot of familys budgets. I just do the cruise night circuit & ice cream runs with the kids/ take her to work on weather friendly fridays. That’s the only way You can put up with a lot of crucial daily driver things not working.

My 72 Newport is a 4 door hardtop, with some interesting options considering it was an entry level model. Power windows telescope/tilt wheel power seat & cornering lamps front fender like higher models I have yet to see another royal with them. Back in the good ol days when you checked of from a lit of options I suppose.

My 72 Newport is a 4 door hardtop, with some interesting options considering it was an entry level model. Power windows telescope/tilt wheel power seat & cornering lamps front fender like higher models I have yet to see another royal with them. Back in the good ol days when you checked of from a lit of options I suppose.

The nice thing about being given the choice between cheap and expensive models is being able to order the options you want. The car buyer could get the car he/she wanted within their budget. My father purchased the base 1970 Polara sedan, 6 cylinder, with Torqueflite, engine block heater, vinyl side mouldings, rims in body colour (W55), exterior in dark tan metallic, interior in tan cloth & vinyl (think Fury I with fratzogs instead of Plymouth sails). The father of a friend had ordered a 1967 Dodge Polara sedan, 6 cylinder, with Torqueflite, engine block heater, power steering, power brakes, radio, wheel covers, exterior black with interior in blue cloth & vinyl. Again, Fury I interiors with fratzogs instead of sails.

In the case of your Newport Royal, if it was ordered by a customer, the base price may have been low enough that they could afford to order those options. And if it has a radio you can add the radio to the options list.

In 1972 and 1973 all Chrysler Corporation cars had radios as an option. A car was not radio delete, just no optional radio. Of the 16,729 1973 Imperials built 99.7% had one of the radio options available- AM/FM, stereo, or stereo tape deck. Which meant that 0.3%, or roughly 50 cars, were built with no radio or tape deck. The Imperial did not have a radio cover plate but had a different lower instrument cluster bezel (3592 120) with no holes for a radio. Imagine spending thousands of dollars to tool up moulds for a piece that was used on 50 cars in 1973 and probably a similar number in 1972.

Maybe it’s just me but the slab side cars seem to be more stout. Perhaps over engineered compared to late big cars where mopar started looking at weight savings. I know Dad was often told by vendors that “you don’t need to use that gauge. Brand “x” only uses this thickness”.

Is there a total number of cars built out of each of the plants for each model year?

Are you looking for the total numbers of cars produced at the assembly plants each model year, or the number of Fury, Polara/Monaco, Chrysler and Imperial cars produced at each assembly plant by model year.

If so, I do have production broken down by car line and assembly plant.

Say a number telling how many 71 Dodge Polaras and Monacos came out of Belvidere alone and etc with other years and models.

Maybe it’s just me but the slab side cars seem to be more stout. Perhaps over engineered compared to late big cars where mopar started looking at weight savings. I know Dad was often told by vendors that “you don’t need to use that gauge. Brand “x” only uses this thickness”.
I’ll buy that, they had to start the decline somewhere.

Are you looking for the total numbers of cars produced at the assembly plants each model year, or the number of Fury, Polara/Monaco, Chrysler and Imperial cars produced at each assembly plant by model year.

If so, I do have production broken down by car line and assembly plant.

Bill,

if you have all those type of information it would be great if you share them with the public.

Pages like Hamtramck-historical.com (run by Barry Washington) are a big help for the classic Mopar Community. So copies of your documents could be published there and saved for the long term future.

Carsten

thanks bill for the great info on options. and yes detmatt I think there are few more rust friendly areas on fuselages but a small price to pay for the low curvy look. I was born & raised a formal guy but I have fallen in love with my 72. makes me wanna make a bumper sticker that says (who saved who?) with a Chrysler emblem instead of the rescue dog paw. lol!

Say a number telling how many 71 Dodge Polaras and Monacos came out of Belvidere alone and etc with other years and models.

Hope the attached is okay. It lists all the C body makes built at the Belvidere plant from the opening of the plant to the end of the C body. Production numbers are for the model years

1965-1978 Belvidere C Body - A.JPG

Probably, but on checking I asked the wrong question.

A friend of mine Ola Nilsson is into Dodge Challenger's and Plymouth Barracudas of the 70, 71and 72 years and recently wrote a book on 'Cudas.

He notes a code on the build tag "V26" which appeared on early 71 Challengers then disappeared and nobody has been able to discover the significance of this.

I was hoping that Bill may have some idea of its meaning and/or documents in his archives clarifying the issue as the search for the answer has proven elusive.

Back