Gas smell

CK 67 Fury

Reaction score
First time poster. I have a 67 Fury drop top with a 318 and new carter 2bbl. I have a pretty strong fuel smell when driving. Not on start up though. Only seems present when the top is down. Smell existed with both old and new carb. Added dye to the gas to find leaks with a black light. None to be found. Manifold has no air leaks, Air leak at exhaust connecting to the manifold. No leak at gas tank that I can find and I added a vented cap. Look forward to your suggestions and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the tank vent. At speed, the air blowing past it could just pull fumes out and not liquid and that is why you're not the seeing the dye from a liquid leak. . That's just a shot in the dark, but something to check.

Just throwing this out there. Is the choke adjusted properly? My old slant 6 would smell of gas until I got the choke dialed in. Same with my old 273. I ended up installing a manual choke pull and it fixed that problem.

Only with the top down? Perhaps your cap is no good and you can only smell it with the top down.

Welcome!

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the tank vent. At speed, the air blowing past it could just pull fumes out and not liquid and that is why you're not the seeing the dye from a liquid leak. . That's just a shot in the dark, but something to check.
Thanks Big John. That's one I didn't consider and will try. Will let you know.

Gas odors are hard to locate since it don't take much of a leak to create it. My Convert always had a odor when driving and I thought it was the gas gap and or vent also. Changed caps, verified the vent was working. Inspected under the hood and along the fuel line and finally gave into the fact that it was not gonna change. I found it by accident one day when it was idling in the driveway. I noticed a spot on the ground about the size of a dime that looked wet. An inspection showed a fuel pump connection that looked a little wet so I tightened it a little. Never had the smell again. I inspected those connections a half dozen times before and never found any leaks but always when the engine was shut down. It wasn't much of a leak and never showed up in any of my previous inspections. My point is, gasoline evaporates quickly so you have to be diligent. I thought as strong as the smell was, it had to be a big leak but it certainly wasn't.
Good luck locating it.

Are there vent lines on a '67?
Don't know about 67 C-Bodies
My 67 Barracuda has a vent line attached high on the filler pipe with hose.

On my 69 Polara I took the vent line in the trunk off so I could paint the trunk, few days later I smelled gas in the garage, put a cap on it till i was done in the trunk.....

Alan

Don't know about 67 C-Bodies
My 67 Barracuda has a vent line attached high on the filler pipe with hose.

On my 69 Polara I took the vent line in the trunk off so I could paint the trunk, few days later I smelled gas in the garage, put a cap on it till i was done in the trunk.....

Alan
I know the '69s did, especially if the car was from California, but I'm wondering about the earlier cars.

I've had the experience with my '65 New Yorker (and my BMW 2002) that if I overfill the gas tank, gas will leak out of the top of the tank and pour down around the outside of the tank and really stink up the car. I don't know if this is because there's a hole in the top of the tank or if the excess gas is coming out of the vent or whatever.

So, I don't overfill the tank, and it hasn't been an issue since.

Check all of your fuel hose connections. If the rubber hoses shoe signs of cracking replace them and the hose clamps if they are corbin style.

Check your gas line at the frame where there is a rubber hose mine was leaking in the frame a small amount you could not see but could smell it

Back