WANTED Gas Tank Drain Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackardDon

Reaction score
Contact seller
Does anyone have the specifications or even a source for the gas tank drain plug? I gave a new stainless tank and sender for my 1965 Imperial but am hesitant to take out the plug to check and the seal on the one in my car has turned to dust. Since my tank looks clean and still has all the factory undercoating, I may not use the stainless tank and keep the original but need the seal. I thought it was an o-ring but I was recently told that it was a flat washer of some sort. Attached is the plug with an o-ring but it's fairly clear that the plug's design does indeed need something larger. Please advise and thank you!

95B8D34F-BD61-43C2-997D-C4D16DA37119.jpeg

The gasket number is 1739196 and the plug 1739194
How is the thread size compared to a oil drain plug?

Alan

This is the original drain plug and hence the problem. I have the original part numbers but is there a source?

Added: Oh, you said the oil drain plug - I misread! Good question and I'll check but can't get to the bottom engine just now as my engine lift isn't working in spite just now putting a supposedly repaired cylinder!

Last edited:
Thank you, all! I was hoping that some here might have one that they could measure as most shapes and sizes can be found at speciality companies that are not specific to a car but which are the proper shape and material to handle fuel.

Does anyone have the specifications or even a source for the gas tank drain plug? I gave a new stainless tank and sender for my 1965 Imperial but am hesitant to take out the plug to check and the seal on the one in my car has turned to dust. Since my tank looks clean and still has all the factory undercoating, I may not use the stainless tank and keep the original but need the seal. I thought it was an o-ring but I was recently told that it was a flat washer of some sort. Attached is the plug with an o-ring but it's fairly clear that the plug's design does indeed need something larger. Please advise and thank you!

View attachment 148031
I had the same problem on my '63 300J, the original seal had rotted away. The plug is made so it will only tighten so much to compress the original oring. I tried some assorted orings and didn't have much luck, either to small or to large and would squeeze out. I found a HELP! brand fuel injection oring kit with several assorted rings and seals. It had one in the kit that was the perfect size ring in it. I found it at a local Autozone store and it was only about $5. The part number is 90100.

Try McMaster.com for rubber washers, they have some pretty good sorting on features of their stuff.
The bottom pic shows how to choose a material, type in 'rubber' and then hit the 'about rubber'.
You'll hafta take it from here - I ain't gonna do it all for ya! :D

upload_2017-10-19_21-22-43.png

upload_2017-10-19_21-24-37.png

I see your name is PackardDon.

I still kick myself sometimes for the Packard I let slip away - a 1940 business coupe, 120 model, with the fold-down jump seats in the back. Straight 8, floorshifter, most mechanicals/brakes were freshened and body was solid and 1 color. Was $4000 (probably 10 years ago now).

I didn't have a wide-open garage space, so I told the guy I'd visit in springtime. Over the winter he put on wide-whites and did a lot of spray-can 'restoration' and the price went to $5000. I didn't like what the extra $1000 was getting me so I passed for good. Was probably a good decision to pass on it, as it would've become a burden for how my life unfolded later -- but I do sometimes fantasize about what it would've been like to own a car like that.

For a coupe, probaby a good price but I'm not an expert on that sort of thing. I'm down to only four now, all mid-'50s, but my first was a 1939 that came with a 1940 parts car and I bought another 1940 a year or two later which I owned until about fifteen years ago! These were all touring sedans but somewhere in there I also bought a 1941 Henney-Packard hearse and all of these were acquired in the 1960s when I was a teenager.

As for McMaster-Carr, thank you for that! As a former journeyman prototype machinist, they were the company I had in mind once I know the dimensions but you saved me the trouble of looking up those available!

As that Chrysler part number seems to be dated about 1957 model year, I would think the 300 Letter Car people might have some information. www. jholst.net might have something there? Online Imperial Club, too? Older Chrysler products also had gas tank drain plugs, but not sure of their dimensions and such. Ought to be something somewhere, all things considered.

CBODY67

Thank you. Used to be a member of The Imperial Club many decades ago and went on a number of local tours but avoid their online classified as they are not even close to being secure. The one time I posted an ad for a steering wheel, the responses I got included a photo snatched directly from one of the wheel restoration sites. Fortunately I recognized it immediately so didn't get scammed but I've heard horror stories from others. I even volunteered my programming skills to help make it secure but never got a reply. However, the other site's address does not look familiar so I'll check it out!

Corrected: stupid autocorrect,

Last edited:
An Imperial expert I know has come up with dimensions for the seal:

It is 3/16 inch thick, 7/16 ID, 7/8 inch ID it is made of a rubber like material that is not harmed by fuel.

I revised the above after taking measurements of my plug. The steel part has a flared lip around it, the purpose of which is to prevent over-tightening.

Last edited:
Possibly a similar rubber compound as the one which is used for mechanical fuel pump diaphrams? Which is also ethanol-resistant?

CBODY67

Try McMaster.com for rubber washers, they have some pretty good sorting on features of their stuff.
The bottom pic shows how to choose a material, type in 'rubber' and then hit the 'about rubber'.
You'll hafta take it from here - I ain't gonna do it all for ya! :D

View attachment 148063
View attachment 148064
I wonder what shipping is for one washer....

They don't sell only a single washer but a bag of them isn't expensive and I can make the extras available on my site in case anyone else needs one. They're also not the only source but with only my iPad and being off the grid right now I've not had much chance to look.

I wonder what shipping is for one washer....
Haha after working on my car i have bags of miscellaneous hardware because I needed just 1 or a few. The best part with McMaster is more often than not I have it the next day.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back