Gasoline resistant paints

66furys

Reaction score
I see that the VHT paints, and some specially made for gas tanks are good, but just primed the inside of my fuel fill tube before thinking. My VHT paint wont work any longer, with almost full can....great. So, am going to test the brake and wheel paint to see what happens. Not much on here about fuel resistant paint that I have found. Dont want the paint to run into the tank when filling if possible....aaargh.

"Resistant" does not mean the gas mixture will not affect it. It can still become soft and erode into the fuel tank, over time, I suspect. But not just "wash off" per se.

Might have been better to use some red Scotchbrite to clean and polish the inside of the filler tube to a nice satiny silver color?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Once again, BigJohn hits the mark, imo. I have now tried the original green etching primer, the normal rustoleum overcoat paint, the wheel and brake paint, and finally the VHT exhaust paint. Now, I admit that it was not held at 250F for half hour, I left it in the sun, and heated with torch every five or ten minutes, so it may not have cured. But, all would rub off after a short soak with rag. Now, I have applied an engine enamel VHT that has to be cured for an hour at 200F, which I will do in the oven later today, after it dries for 3 hours. My advice is as Big John says.....clean it up and leave it alone. I may have to try some paint remover next, but we will see.

If you take off the coating with red scotch brite or equivalemt then it will rust over time, not a good thing.

The tank filler tube is in the oven as we speak......testing will come next.

Well, when I ran a wire brush thru the horrible mess, it just seemed the thing to do.....NOTTTT. I give up. The VHT engine enamel came out of the oven and the gas just ate it up.
Paint remover next.....no paint inside.

if you can find a commercial plater nearby they can do it in zinc...you'd probably be better off if you brought them a bunch of hardware as its usually a price per pound but with a minimum charge

IMHO, since you've painted, stripped, wire brushed etc., I would put a coat of Ospho inside the neck. Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947 I use this a lot on parts where I've had to remove rust as a "prep" for paint. I wouldn't repaint the neck though.

I've read of people using it with good success in gas tanks. I did a little searching this morning and found this quote from Ospho about using it in gas tanks;

"Ospho can be used inside a gasoline tank. You want to apply enough of the Ospho to the inside of the tank so that you can ‘slush’ it around. Leave the Ospho in the tank for 30 minutes, slush every 10 minutes, drain tank, Let stand for 24 hours. Then apply a small amount of gasoline to the tank. Slush it around to remove any powdering or residue left behind. After that you can mount your tank and insert gasoline. Ospho will not affect your fuel system or filters."

I will look into it, thanks BigJohn. I cleaned all paint from inside with stripper, and it is now back in the re-installed fuel tank. But, if I can find something that might work, it is easy to pull the filler neck for a touch up.

Back