Where is the fuel going??

66furys

Reaction score
On my 383 with new Edelbrock AVS, I am finding some interesting things with the fuel. First is that I am actually pushing the engine on short road hops, not far, and still some on driveway. I recently added a new fuel gauge, suited to the resistance on the OEM sensor. So, added between 6-8 gal of gas, and after some use, found the gauge near zero. Drained the tank to get a read, and there were only 2 gal left.....hmmm, my first surprise. Secondly, as I let the car sit while doing other things.....if it sits for more than about 10 days there is nothing in the fuel filter, and it takes some priming or cranking to start. So my two questions are, for normal screwing around, do you find the beasty using a lot of fuel. And, I wonder where the fuel in the line is going....and guess the fuel pump. Hate to change it when working, since some of the rubbish we get now may not be better than an old piece of junk. Wishing we could still buy USA mfr parts.

Check the dip stick. If the fuel went there - you will know by the smell/viscosity.
(assuming there there are no visible leaks)
Omni

Check the dip stick. If the fuel went there - you will know by the smell/viscosity.
(assuming there there are no visible leaks)
Omni

If there’s gas in the oil, would you will see by the reading on the dipstick being over full, then it’s time for a new fuel pump. I would also check all the rubber hoses in the fuel line and make sure none of those are leaking. If they are old, replaced them with fuel injection, rated fuel hose as today’s gasoline will rot a regular rubber fuel lines from the inside out.

How many miles (city and/or highway) or time spent "not moving" took place on that approx 5 gallons of fuel "used"? Not many miles at a possible 13mpg average, by observation.

Do NOT use the "opaque plastic" fuel filter as evidence of fuel in the lines. It is not accurate in that aspect, from my own observations on our '66 Newport when it was newer. At times, in hot weather, it would appear empty as the engine was happily sitting at hot base idle. Accel pump shot was there, also, during those situations, so gas was getting to the carb. Other times, the filter would appear to be 1/2 empty, too.

I concur with replacing the fuel line, if not already done, at the three sections of the fuel line between the attachment to the tank and the attachment to the fuel pump.

CBODY67

After a couple weeks the fuel is evaporating from your carb and lines.Many have added a small electric priming pump near the tank and a momentary push button to power it. It will prime the system and fill the carb for instant starts. Our gas now days evaporates quickly.

Ues ethanol free fuel and the missing fuel in the filter is not such a big problem.

when it is gone I fill the float bowls and the car starts right up. Cranking to get fuel is not good for anything under your hood: Battery, starter, connections, internal engine parts, etc.

”screwing around” yes it will get bad mileage doing that.

As more background, I did purchase some of the marine type fuel line that eventually will be used. I do use non ethanol on all my gas engines.....after melting hoses on the two strokes, carbs that are gummed badly, corrosion, and lots of other nice things. I have not seen any change in oil level or issues there, but good point to monitor. And, also, do not like to crank, try to pour some down the bowl vents, and need better bottle for that chore. Also agree on the clear filter.....buuut, I am finding on this one that it remains pretty full, half or more when running and using it.....and after sitting is empty.....not a great correlation, I agree. Not sure anyone has seen a problem with the fuel pump and some backflow.....I guess I could use a gauge and pressurize to at least look at that. And, back in the day, these were used every day.....so some of this did not exist....back when the gas wars resulted in 14 cents per gallon and no alcohol. Danka

As more background, I did purchase some of the marine type fuel line that eventually will be used. I do use non ethanol on all my gas engines.....after melting hoses on the two strokes, carbs that are gummed badly, corrosion, and lots of other nice things. I have not seen any change in oil level or issues there, but good point to monitor. And, also, do not like to crank, try to pour some down the bowl vents, and need better bottle for that chore. Also agree on the clear filter.....buuut, I am finding on this one that it remains pretty full, half or more when running and using it.....and after sitting is empty.....not a great correlation, I agree. Not sure anyone has seen a problem with the fuel pump and some backflow.....I guess I could use a gauge and pressurize to at least look at that. And, back in the day, these were used every day.....so some of this did not exist....back when the gas wars resulted in 14 cents per gallon and no alcohol. Danka
I use Virginia gas too. In a 1972 Fury with 360/727 600cfm Edelbrock carb, I always found that after a week or 2 sitting, all fuel in the fuel lines evaporated. I bought a Mid-1990s Ram high torque starter. Spun the engine fast, filled fuel line fast, car started relatively fast.

Not sure about your gas mileage. My car got about 12mpg local driving. How many miles did you drive before using up the 6-8 gallons?

I am still in the early phases of road testing, and for braking work and others, sometimes just hammer in the long driveway. Not mileage, but thought that maybe a couple hours of running should not have used what I thought I added. But now with fuel gauge ,I will try to track this better. thanks

Many owners of some 1950s-'60s GM cars use one of the 3.5psi small electric fuel pumps near the tank to help prevent vapor lock in summer traffic situations. Chrysler also used an electric booster pump on '73 Imperial CA-spec cars, at the rear, too.

When the pump pressurizes the system, you can hear its sound change.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This is why I ditched the stocker and went to an electric fuel pump many years ago. No good ever came of those diaphragm pumps - cheap junk.

Back