Getting one lousy part machined.

I've been doing this stuff since 1985. Have questions?
What's your address?
rofl.gif

I just finished my certificate for welding but I took a few manual machining classes as well, working my way up to a CNC cert. But I hate CNC its just so boring and... soulless

I just finished my certificate for welding but I took a few manual machining classes as well, working my way up to a CNC cert. But I hate CNC its just so boring and... soulless

I'm glad I got out of the business before the CNC became so engrained into machine shops.

I got into a argument on a forum once about how to make a simple underdrive pulley... One "expert" said it couldn't be done without CAD and a CNC machining center.

The knowledge is going away as the skilled tradesman is now gray haired and looking to retire.

Anything that can be done by CNC machine can be done by hand on a 1950's Bridgeport lathe and milling machine.

Another trade lost: DRAFTING.
HTF can anybody learn CAD properly if they never learned drafting.

Anything that can be done by CNC machine can be done by hand on a 1950's Bridgeport lathe and milling machine.

Yeah, but we sure can TEXT.

Hell Stan, I still can't post pix and please don't try to help me, it's hopeless. And the only pic I'd post anyway iz the Batwagon doin' ah fire breathin' smoke billowin' comin' atcha burn out.

I

[video=youtube_share;knuz38oT2kc]http://youtu.be/knuz38oT2kc[/video]

hexapods are getting better..

It's hard to do 6 axis on bridgeports.

Last edited:
now that is BADASS!!!!!!

Even with cad/cam your looking at hours of programming and machine time for that part,but still is impressive to say the least. Looks like an inserted ball mill they used for roughing. I'll need to look into that.

I'm luck to have found a local guy who does everything the old fashion way. He has all kinds of milling and lathe type machines, does it for a living as well....no CNC stuff for him!! I bring him all kinds of little projects, and parts I need made up. He always enjoys making the one off parts, and hardly charges anything for it.

Talking about a lost art....I had my daughter old upright piano tuned up yesterday. The guy we use is in his early 40's, but still uses equipment from the 70's and 80's, and his ear, to tune the piano. Very cool to talk to him about things, and watch. He says now days though there are computer tuners where you enter in the make, model and year of the piano and it will give you what it thinks is the best tune for it. He says there is a lot more to it them that.

Very timely revival of an old thread.
Just found out yesterday that the welding shop that I have used for years closed their doors Friday. Their top welder was certified from everything from nuclear to under water. She's moving to go to work for a airplane manufacturer. They would fabricate anything from a titanium bridge to repairing a small bracket. All gone now. WTF am I going to do now. :'(

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Just found out yesterday that the welding shop that I have used for years closed their doors Friday. Their top welder was certified from everything from nuclear to under water. She's moving to go to work for a airplane manufacturer. They would fabricate anything from a titanium bridge to repairing a small bracket. All gone now. WTF am I going to do now. :'(

Go see Zac... our Florida resident Bluesmobile fabricator/welder.

Sorry to hear that is happening. If you need parts machined, I would be happy to do it for you. If you don't mind shipping them. Or anyone else for that matter. As far as welding goes, you are the king of research. You'll find someone local or near by I'm sure.

I do a lot of my own welding but she was invaluable for the aluminum and stainless stuff or where the welding needed to be absolutely 101% perfect. In fact she was the one that taught me how to MIG. Well, sorta. She tried to teach me...

Back