Getting one lousy part machined.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
What do you think of this.
I say brilliant. Been waiting for this all my life.
Need a part? Sit at the keyboard. Wait for UPS.

http://www.emachineshop.com/
block_logo2.gif

'78 Wiper cams up the ying-yang.
No window can't be fixed.

If I had CAD skills I would be doing this, unfortunately I'd probably spend months trying to get everything right then the part would still be wrong.

At the cost of a computerized Bridgeport plus several yearz to learn to use it my friend, we can all pay for more custom partz then we'll ever need! Good show Stan, thankz for the post, Jer

It's been around for a while. And if you're stuck you're stuck, but the prices aren't that good as they initially look. I need a simple clamp made out of delrin and thought it'd be the perfect site, by the time the setup costs, material, and shipping, one part came to nearly $250. Not bad for a prototype if you're going to market a product. But for a one off part, find a buddy with a mill.

The pricing looks like they have a minimum order amount or a minimum run size so you can't have them make you a single $10 part. If you can sell of the other 20 that they require that's not bad but $180 for that $10 part stings a bit.

We have those machines at work. I need to have them show me how to use them.

You have to start young....

MatandJohn.jpg

That's my two knucklehead kids back when I made my living as a Tool & Diemaker. They're both grown now with their own kids.

You need access to this stuff?
You suck :D

... back when I made my living as a Tool & Diemaker.
I always had the highest respect for you guys. I've seen dies that have blown my mind.
"HowTF did he do that???..."

My brother in law owns a machine shop with a couple of katrillion dollars worth of CNC.
But he can't make crap for me.
To make a simple washer would take up a day of programming and setup time.
I think the only manual thing in the shop is his pencil.

I've got friends locally. A father and son team and the father is now retired. They both did for 20 years and son still iz making a pretty darn good living carving out one product. A tilt steering columns for just one after market retail supplier. I look at the work the son turns out on one of those CNC Machines and just shake my head.(thanks Stan, I forgot what they called those computerized 250K+ bridge-ports) FYI, the Father carved out the 3 grove crank pulley and 2 grove alternator pulley on a lath for the Batwagon to my drawings and specz in two dayz and they're way better then any factory stampings.

Actually I don't know squat about machine work. However, Tom knows a lot about machine work. Being an ex-Seabee, and they CAN do anything, he is down there every weekend since 1995. His talents range from heavy equipment operator, fabrication, all kinds of heavy welding. repaired the aircraft crane pump and machinery, repaired to operational status three bomb elevators, repaired to operational status two aircraft elevators, repaired to operational status our large bedspring radar, soon to have to operational status our large dish radar after I am finished with striping and painting it, unfroze two sets of hanger deck division doors, replaced very large pump seals on machinery 6 decks down with low overheads, just finished in spare time ordering parts and repairing a 30 year old fork lift and those are only a few items.

So when I need to work on struts, A-arms, and the like I go down on Saturday where I can get them removed, pressed or whatever I might need.

Below is a small ladder he built to get from deck 3-4 in a storage hold which was missing the ladder.

Dk3_ladder_01.JPG

Dk3_ladder_04.JPG

Dk3_ladder_05.JPG

Dk4_ladder_01.JPG

I can't believe we don't have a few more machinist here. I've been doing this stuff since 1985. Have questions? Ask away. If I don't know the answer. I'll find out.

Back