GJS's 1967 Dodge Monaco 500: Beverly

Thanks that's the one. I probably need to learn to link.

Alright. Tires ordered. Got her rollable for under 250, good enough for the girls I go out with. Hopefully she's nested by friday night and I can rip in to the fuel system and kill off that primordial sludge she's been eating.

Nice to see another one saved! Have fun and enjoy her!
Thanks and I will! I think "saved" is a good word here. Not that she was in the worst position I've seen, she was under a carport at least BUT the gentleman I purchased her from had clearly neglected her since he bought in 2009. She'd have only gotten worse. All on the up n up now!

Yesterday was the first "diggy" sort of day. Got her up on jack stands to pull the wheels, they'll get new rubber today so I can move her to her service bay. As before, nothing particularly alarming, the underside appears remarkably rust free. The transmission leak appears to be from one of the cooling lines, no biggie. .. other leaks include the return line from the PS pump and the pinion seal on the pumpkin... On outside inspection, the brakes show no signs of leakage, the flex lines are pretty new.

Suspension wise, theres a ton of work to do. I was noticing it sat super low up front .. a attributed at least a little of that to the toilet paper tires it had on it .. we'll see about that. Clearly though, this thing was ridden hard at some point. The driver side rubber bumper on the a arm is SMASHED. I'll go through tonight before putting the wheels on and see if I can find anything else with apparent damage in the front sus.

The most alarming thing I noted was that it appears that someone attempted a rock crawl .. at around 35 MPH. Theres a slight smack on the lower font bumper which, as the crossmember is lower is a HUGE smack on the crossmember and an appreciable dent in the oil pan. I'm not going to concern myself with the bumper or the crossmember at this point though, WHEN the full resto happens, I'm hoping to have the bumper straightened and the crossmember replaced.

I am far more concerned with the oil pan. The impression is such that I can't imagine that the pickup isn't pressed tightly into a bunch of guck in the sump. My first inclination is to pull it and replace it as I don't want to stress the metal .. further, trying to pop the dent would likely warp the pan and render it unable to seal properly... I'll have to see if anyone has a decent used pan lying around.

I'll get some photos tonight and post.

Be good

-GJS

Bashy oil pan
IMG_2419.JPG

Bashy cross member

IMG_2421.JPG

Front brakes aren't bad (theyre dirty, no gouges. ) Lots of meat Left on the drums, flexible hoses are all new, wheel bearings and races are good. I can get away with a repack, new pads, one new wheel cylinder and a ful bleed. Suspension is another story but I won't be clear on that till I hit the road which is a ways off.
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG

My Monaco came with the 8.44/78x14 tires. Calcs out to be 27.16" dia.
Currently there are 205/75x14s on the car. Calcs out to be 26.11" dia.
They do look small on the car compared to todays vehicles but typical for 60s cars.
The speedo is off noticeably with the smaller tires.
I think when i need tires i'm going with 15" tires and those 15" steel wheels modified to accept the 14" wheel covers. More w.w. sizes seem to be available in 15".

My Monaco came with the 8.44/78x14 tires. Calcs out to be 27.16" dia.
Currently there are 205/75x14s on the car. Calcs out to be 26.11" dia.
They do look small on the car compared to todays vehicles but typical for 60s cars.
The speedo is off noticeably with the smaller tires.
I think when i need tires i'm going with 15" tires and those 15" steel wheels modified to accept the 14" wheel covers. More w.w. sizes seem to be available in 15".
Interested in the wheel mod for the wheel covers! I'll always have a set of 14" for it but cruising on 15s will be something I miss. Let me know what ya know!

Interested in the wheel mod for the wheel covers! I'll always have a set of 14" for it but cruising on 15s will be something I miss. Let me know what ya know!
Check out "themopardude.com" for the 15" steel wheels. Not cheap but i like the stock look wheel covers.

Check out "themopardude.com" for the 15" steel wheels. Not cheap but i like the stock look wheel covers.
I'll check it out! I'm not in a huge rush but yea, 14" is a little hard to deal with on a car this size... at least when I'm cruising long distance. Thanks man!

Here are some pics he sent me of a 14" Charger wheel cover install on his 15" rim.
1415chargerwheel 001.jpg
1415chargerwheel 005.jpg
1415chargerwheel 010.jpg

I'll check it out! I'm not in a huge rush but yea, 14" is a little hard to deal with on a car this size... at least when I'm cruising long distance. Thanks man!
14s Belong on a Stock Abody. 15s are the only True way to go. Sorry for my Purist Agenda.

I remember my first Monaco, I was standing behind it and it had its original 14s on it. All I could think was "squirrels teeth"... just so small and narrow. I like em on this car BUT I wonder if that's not because the springs are toast and it sits so damned low.

So what size tire and brand did you end up ordering?

Regarding the wheel cylinder. I always replaced them in pairs. No sense tempting fate. They are cheap enough & well worth the peace of mind.

Back