Going from a 2bbl to a 4bbl on a 383

The one thing that makes a 383-2 come alive when fitted with a 4 bbl carb is the dual exhaust and HP manifolds coupled with the addition of a high stall torque converter. If you don't add the high stall converter as the factory did compared to the low stall one in the two bbl models, you will see little difference in the overall performance. In contrast, the 360-2 vs. 360-4 packages both came with high stall converters in C bodies, so you don't see much difference in performance between the two. The high stall torque converter gives more torque multiplication off the line and makes for a really nice launch feel. I wouldn't even bother with the swap without that one element. I don't know why most people over look this critical detail. It is the difference between "dog" and "lively and fun".

Last edited:
2bbl vs 4bbl pros and cons for both. but I do love it when the vac secondaries flop open.....and then watch the gas gauge nose dive to "E".

Performer intake and a Edelbrock 1406 carb. It has an electric choke and will run perfect right out of the box. Numerous people have tried that combo with outstanding results.

I put this combo on the 383 in my convertible 12 years ago. I've never done a thing to it since installation. Starts reliably and added some punch.

If your 2bbl carb is not worth rebuilding, you may want to consider a Stromberg 2bbl as a cost cutter for now. Four of my Newps have them and they run very reliably when tuned properly.

Hope the input helps.

John

so here is some relevant information maybe -

with the weiand action plus 8008 intake, on a 1968 383-2, the throttle return spring holder and also the throttle/kickdown linkage bracket dont fit...

looks like i will move the return spring holder piece to the same bolt where the NEG batty ground bolt is on the block, and im going to have to grind off the corner of the throttle linkage bracket.

ill see about a picture...

- saylor

these brackets, where the spring goes, and where the throttle business bolts down at the back bolt... no fitty, needs modification. boo.

20160619_143302.jpg

I found a used carb near me ,an eddy 1406 for $50. I have a local guy that rebuilds carbs for around 100, so $150 for a $350 carb I'll take it lol.

Next the intake which I hope I can snag for a member hear. Then duals

When you guys get exhausts are the custom or can I order somewhere?

I found a used carb near me ,an eddy 1406 for $50. I have a local guy that rebuilds carbs for around 100, so $150 for a $350 carb I'll take it lol.

Next the intake which I hope I can snag for a member hear. Then duals

When you guys get exhausts are the custom or can I order somewhere?

Its good you got a deal on the carb and manifold. The dual exhaust system (aluminized) from someone like Waldron's is gonna set you back about $700. If you go for stainless steel, it will be almost a grand. I don't know what TTI would charge. . . maybe a little less than Waldron's.

Same here; local shop. In fact it was a midas. I watched them just in case, but right after I drove the car in I found out the guy doing the plumbing was the manager AND he owned the red 73' 440 cuda sitting in the next bay. It was a slow day that day...put my mind at ease.

I have a friend local that owns his own shop, just got a hold of him and he says some nice series 40's will give it that nice musclely sound.

So I'll most likely go with him because I know he takes pride in his work

W all the knowledgeable talk about carbs, intakes and dual exhaust, I'm surprised nobody mentions the cylinder heads. I've a 66 Newport, 2-bbl Stromberg WWC w a single 2" exhaust I'd LOVE to double in time, and the ONE unspoken concern again is what sort of heads will you install for an upgrade? Check the casting #s on your heads. Odds are you have closed chamber, 1.6" exhaust valve heads meant for that 2 bbl. If so, a 600 cfm carb will dump all the petrol that motor can USE into whichever modern intake you opt for.

I suppose my old heads had the 3 angle valve job done on them at some point in time as it runs quite nicely on 87 octane unleaded crapoline. Idk if it has 100k+ or 200k+ miles on it, but the old motor doesn't burn a drop of oil. If you plan to go 4-barreling down the road, check your compression also. I don't plan to go to a 4-bbl until I have dual exhaust, appropriate heads and a cam that all will work together to assure it is worth doing.

The one thing that makes a 383-2 come alive when fitted with a 4 bbl carb is the dual exhaust and HP manifolds coupled with the addition of a high stall torque converter. If you don't add the high stall converter as the factory did compared to the low stall one in the two bbl models, you will see little difference in the overall performance. In contrast, the 360-2 vs. 360-4 packages both came with high stall converters in C bodies, so you don't see much difference in performance between the two. The high stall torque converter gives more torque multiplication off the line and makes for a really nice launch feel. I wouldn't even bother with the swap without that one element. I don't know why most people over look this critical detail. It is the difference between "dog" and "lively and fun".
Ever since I've joined this site I've been giving similar advice when threads would pop up on what cam should I select for my car. I usually get shot down by other posters and my advice falls on deaf ears. I agree 100% with your advice but I seriously doubt that the original poster is going to spend the extra money for a high stall convertor and go through the trouble of removing his transmission to install it. People don't like to be told that its going to cost them more than what they intended to spend in order to get the desired performance they are looking for. They come here to ask for advice on performance upgrades but only listen to what they want to hear. Not the advice that will actually help them achieve their goal.

Performer intake and a Edelbrock 1406 carb. It has an electric choke and will run perfect right out of the box. Numerous people have tried that combo with outstanding results.

I am one of those people and yes it is by far the best combination I have found on these stock BB engines. Have it on both a '66 and the '70. Easy to tune and runs well on the stock configuration. The factory Holley and Carter are sitting tucked away for prosperity in case I want to work harder and be more frustrated with these cars someday....

Ever since I've joined this site I've been giving similar advice when threads would pop up on what cam should I select for my car. I usually get shot down by other posters and my advice falls on deaf ears. I agree 100% with your advice but I seriously doubt that the original poster is going to spend the extra money for a high stall convertor and go through the trouble of removing his transmission to install it. People don't like to be told that its going to cost them more than what they intended to spend in order to get the desired performance they are looking for. They come here to ask for advice on performance upgrades but only listen to what they want to hear. Not the advice that will actually help them achieve their goal.

I have been very into these cars since I was 12 years old, went to UCLA for 4 years in engineering and then went through the Chrysler Institute of Engineering, where they sent me to U of M to get my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering, rotated through 8 departments before going permanent in Fuel Systems, and worked in Central Engineering in Detroit and California for Chrysler for 10 years. And I now have some 40 cars, mostly C bodies. So I do have some experience since I worked for Central Engineering from 1969 to 1980 when these cars were being designed and built, and I do my best to put out there what I have learned over the years. But I do not have a problem with people choosing a different path than what I suggest, as we all have to make choices based on our circumstances, finances, experience and capability. My goal is to do what I can to help if someone chooses to consider what I have said. That is all I can do. I like to see these cars done well and enjoyed. After one is on this forum for awhile, you learn who you can trust for good guidance. It is something that is earned over time. So please keep up your comments as I continue to learn too, and you might even be surprised how many people actually heed your advice but do not post their results here for various reasons.

Back