Got Pranked By My Tires-77 New Yorker

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Evening Guys,
It has been a while since my last thread, but I wanted to share an interesting story from this morning about my NYB and its tires. When I bought my car, the seller was not sure but guessed that the tires were about or more than 25 years old. I actually purchased tires for the Chrysler from Vercelli back in August, but due to my schedule, I was not able to get a day for them to be installed until today.

So, today, my dad and I started up the car and took it through the country roads with no issues on our way to get the tires replaced. Since the fuel tank was low, we planned to stop at a gas station on our way to the shop. So, until then, the trip was going well, until about 50 feet from the gas station. The front passenger side tire burst and the belt got completely destroyed, so we pulled into the gas station and inspected the damage, and a picture can be found below.

Fortunately, we had a spare in the trunk so we pulled out all the new tires and the original spare. Then, we pulled out the bumper jack and gave it a try. The bumper jack hook did not seem to line up with the hole in the bumper as the instructions on the trunk deck recommended, but we were able to fit the jack on a different part of the bumper and jack the front end up. With no issue, we were able to replace the bad tire.

However, we arrived at a problem with lowering the bumper jack. Since my dad and I have never used a bumper jack, we were not super familiar with it and we not sure how to get it down. We put the switch into the down position, but the jack did not budge. My dad then called my mom to arrange a ride home to pick up our traditional jack so we could use that to pull out the bumper jack and lower the car.

At this point, I was in the middle of a BP parking lot with my Chrysler jacked up in the air, so I was drawing quite a bit of attention. While waiting for my dad to get back, I loaded all of the new tires and the bad tire back into the trunk and was working on organizing the tires when a good samaritan came up, complemented the car, and asked if I need any help. I explained the problem, and he took a look at the bumper jack and explained that I was not pulling it back far enough to allow it to click and lower, which I did not do as it felt pretty tight and I was not trying to break it. Then, we were able to lower the car and pull it into a parking space. My dad got back with our jack about 15 minutes later and was happy to see the car back on the ground.

However, I do find it quite funny and fortunate that after 8 months on these tires, they burst on the way to the tire shop. Thankfully, nothing got damaged and everyone is safe, so that was definitely a blessing in the timing of the incident.
Overall, an interesting experience
77newyorker440

20210131_205538.jpg

20210202_075022.jpg

20210202_080308.jpg

20210202_081615.jpg

20210202_085741.jpg

I had a right rear tire on my 78 NYB self destruct on I-83 on the way to Chryslers at Carlisle a few years ago. That was scary as hell. I had to limp on a very old spare about 15 miles to a tire shop and had both of those tires replaced.

I learned my lesson.......no tires more than 8 years old on anything I own!!!!!

Add this experience to list of more to come, Good and some not so good, when drive a 40 plus yr old car. Glad it all turned out for you guys.

Very common. I bought a Sport Fury with 1998 tires and my convertible came with 1992 tires. People just let these cars sit. I bought a 2000 Sebring and had a right front tire blow out at 70 mph. The Michelins on the front were from 2002, but looked OK

Glad you got it solved but for future reference for anyone else, read the jack instructions on the trunk lid if that is there or get out the owners manual for instruction to change the tire.

1977.REAR.JACK.SLOT.jpg
1977.FRONT.JACK.SLOTS.jpg

Glad you got it solved but for future reference for anyone else, read the jack instructions on the trunk lid if that is there or get out the owners manual for instruction to change the tire.

View attachment 436123 View attachment 436124

Ah, I never realized that those slots in the bumper were for the jack. I did use the instructions in the trunk but I could not tell where the slot was in the picture. However, the owner's manual was helpful, as it included some further info. Thanks for showing what those slots are for!
77newyorker440

Ah, I never realized that those slots in the bumper were for the jack. I did use the instructions in the trunk but I could not tell where the slot was in the picture. However, the owner's manual was helpful, as it included some further info. Thanks for showing what those slots are for!
77newyorker440
Yea I imagined that the hook & slot method was a bright idea/upgrade from the old large hook (that can get lost) that you would attach to the jack and place pretty much anywhere on the bumper, or... the upper lip of the fender wheelwell, <<<< I've seen people do that. :eek: :rolleyes: I've come across one that did that and asked "Now how are you going to get the wheel out"?

:rofl:

Yea I imagined that the hook & slot method was a bright idea/upgrade from the old large hook (that can get lost) that you would attach to the jack and place pretty much anywhere on the bumper, or... the upper lip of the fender wheelwell, <<<< I've seen people do that. :eek: :rolleyes: I've come across one that did that and asked "Now how are you going to get the wheel out"?

:rofl:
The integral jack hook into the bumper was a great safety upgrade in the early 70's. Before the separate hook could come away from the jack if the car rolled.

I never use those slots. I would if I was stuck in the desert I guess but Ive seen a lot of those slots distorted from being used. I keep a small floor jack in my cars. Just for that reason.

Glad everything worked out. I just replaced all 5 of my New Yorker tires last fall. Everyone at the tire store was freaking out when I ordered them and wanted the white walls out. Once they saw pictures of it they understood, old grandpa car....

20200312_172257.jpg

Last edited:
Good Evening Guys,
It has been a while since my last thread, but I wanted to share an interesting story from this morning about my NYB and its tires. When I bought my car, the seller was not sure but guessed that the tires were about or more than 25 years old. I actually purchased tires for the Chrysler from Vercelli back in August, but due to my schedule, I was not able to get a day for them to be installed until today.

So, today, my dad and I started up the car and took it through the country roads with no issues on our way to get the tires replaced. Since the fuel tank was low, we planned to stop at a gas station on our way to the shop. So, until then, the trip was going well, until about 50 feet from the gas station. The front passenger side tire burst and the belt got completely destroyed, so we pulled into the gas station and inspected the damage, and a picture can be found below.

Fortunately, we had a spare in the trunk so we pulled out all the new tires and the original spare. Then, we pulled out the bumper jack and gave it a try. The bumper jack hook did not seem to line up with the hole in the bumper as the instructions on the trunk deck recommended, but we were able to fit the jack on a different part of the bumper and jack the front end up. With no issue, we were able to replace the bad tire.

However, we arrived at a problem with lowering the bumper jack. Since my dad and I have never used a bumper jack, we were not super familiar with it and we not sure how to get it down. We put the switch into the down position, but the jack did not budge. My dad then called my mom to arrange a ride home to pick up our traditional jack so we could use that to pull out the bumper jack and lower the car.

At this point, I was in the middle of a BP parking lot with my Chrysler jacked up in the air, so I was drawing quite a bit of attention. While waiting for my dad to get back, I loaded all of the new tires and the bad tire back into the trunk and was working on organizing the tires when a good samaritan came up, complemented the car, and asked if I need any help. I explained the problem, and he took a look at the bumper jack and explained that I was not pulling it back far enough to allow it to click and lower, which I did not do as it felt pretty tight and I was not trying to break it. Then, we were able to lower the car and pull it into a parking space. My dad got back with our jack about 15 minutes later and was happy to see the car back on the ground.

However, I do find it quite funny and fortunate that after 8 months on these tires, they burst on the way to the tire shop. Thankfully, nothing got damaged and everyone is safe, so that was definitely a blessing in the timing of the incident.
Overall, an interesting experience
77newyorker440

View attachment 435976

View attachment 435977

View attachment 435978

View attachment 435981

View attachment 435982

I just read this story and thanks for sharing it. I own a 77 New Yorker Brougham and have owned two before. I can tell you from experience if the rear tires get too low, it feels as if the car is on ice and the back is fishtailing, even though it is still rolling down the road. I defintely keep good tires on my car because of that. I am glad you got to a tire store and got new tires with no damage to your beautiful car.

on several occasions, I have replaced outdated tires that "looked good" and have slashed the sidewall to be sure nobody got a nasty surprise! I learned this lesson a "few years ago" too. Beautiful car! Lindsay

I have 3 tires from the 1990s. 10-footers. Treads have dry rot. I will drill holes in the sidewalls of all of them before recycle.

I realize this is an old thread but wanted to add that the previous owner of my 78 NYB pushed his luck driving on old tires. End result was a rear tire blow out and damaged fender skirt...

1644167765202.png

Those old factory jacks were designed for emergency roadside use only. They can be tricky to use.
Anticipate the car moving away from the jack as you raise it, place at a slight angle to compensate. just moving the lever to "down" is not enough to lower. One must jack it down, just as it was raised. (The instructions don't tell you that).
CAUTION! Never get under a car supported by a bumper jack, and do not place your hand on top of the jack stem while lowering.

Back