GT No 3#

If anyone is seriously interested in the car, I can give you the lowdown on its condition back when I owned it, and what questions to ask of the current owners to make sure it's the car for you. But here's the history as I remember.

I bought it in the fall of 1998 from the family of the original owner, who had died perhaps the year before. Was supposed to go to the grandson, who didn't want it, so his parents put it up for sale.

I had it for about 5 years and used it as a backup car (my sig-pic car was my daily). I loved the look down the double-bubble hood and dreamed of a 440 and some Ply-Div dogdishes, body-colored wheels, and redline tires. It still looked decent but was developing a lot of bondo-bubbles along the bottom edges and the paint was micro-cracking, so I knew it was going to start looking bad in the next few years. I'm more of a preservation and repair guy, not a restoration guy, so it didn’t fit my long-term goals.

I traded it to a buddy for a sacrificial 81 Lebaron Coupe (to get my sig-pic car out of daily use) and a 3.55SG gearset.

My buddy kept the SF for maybe a year - he started having running-hot issues with it. After much diagnosis and parts swapping, and finding no cause, he put a used 383 in it and all problems disappeared. But he was more of a Dodge Dakota / Dippy copcar kinda guy, and the SF wasn't his style.

He sold it to a guy he knew that was reportedly going to do something with it, but what he did was promptly flip it on ebay. Using some inaccurate descriptions of #s matching and original paint (neither were true), he got about $3500 for it IIRC. I emailed the buyer thru ebay to offer them the original engine, which my buddy had given back to me (he was into smallblocks). Never got a response. IIRC the car sold into the SE corner of the US, perhaps the Carolinas, perhaps into GA where it is now.

And although it has popped into my mind many times over the years, this is the first I’d seen/heard of it until now.

Thanks Carsten but I want a real GT or an unmolested Sport Fury no Bastelbude for me that´s priced higher
than the two GTs that just appeared last week for sale..
I don´t know whether it´s the light but it doesn´t look like FK3, it´s too bright more EV2-ish. I love orange but
I´ll pass on this one and on the two GTs as well. Sorry Carsten I´ll continue to :poke: you about your ER6 :lol:

I agree, this isn't close to K3.

I agree, this isn't close to K3.

Well pictures don´t always tell the story, it might be the artificial light that´s in the shop and not neutral sunlight so you can´t
really tell. Thanks to @fury fan we know it has had a repaint and probably the new color is some shades off.

repaint for sure
87952683161_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=0gEQBQ67qBUAX9eW9Wp&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.jpg

Thanks Carsten but I want a real GT or an unmolested Sport Fury no Bastelbude for me that´s priced higher
than the two GTs that just appeared last week for sale..
I don´t know whether it´s the light but it doesn´t look like FK3, it´s too bright more EV2-ish. I love orange but
I´ll pass on this one and on the two GTs as well. Sorry Carsten I´ll continue to :poke: you about your ER6 :lol:

the Sport Fury currently offered is FK3 not EV2
It is just a question of time till you see ER6 at a show somewhere. Drove it a lot already this year.
Was just in Berlin last week

Carsten

Somebody either did a piss port paint match or that was as close as they could get using today's pigments. A lot of the older single process paint pigments went away because of heavy metal content or other environmental restrictions. That leaves paint shops to try for a close match with clear coat and the base coat pigments which failed in this case.

Dave

Somebody either did a piss port paint match or that was as close as they could get using today's pigments. A lot of the older single process paint pigments went away because of heavy metal content or other environmental restrictions. That leaves paint shops to try for a close match with clear coat and the base coat pigments which failed in this case.

Dave

:bs_flag: FK3 is available and looks great on Billy Furys car.

A lot of emotion spewing out over car colors. I dunno.....

you've gone :realcrazy: Lately..." currently applied paint doesn't matter"?

I think it´s a hardcore-collector-point of view. With that understanding the white bondo GT is super valuable because it´s a very late production EA9 color car.
That way of looking at cars doesn´t apply to me, I see the current color on it and not the one on the fender tag.

As for paint shades, I don't have a dog in this fight. I will say it is a great deal shinier than it was when I owned it. When I had it, even though a repaint that was showing wear, it was a bit of a survivor car, I suppose.

But all else equal, I'd rather have a shiny one that's a shade off than 'accurate' that's on the downhill. I would simply tell people it was an original burnt-orange color from the factory if anyone actually cared.

Whether the car is *actually* in better shape now is not determinable from teh pics I saw. I would be curious how they repaired the bubbling along the bottom, and in the roof (which is the main reason I wanted to get rid of it). When I got it, it had already been patched with sheetmetal (full trunk floor, extensions) and who knows what other areas that I don't remember and obviously done many years before. It actually looked like it was done by somebody that cared, for inside the trunk area was all painted and the undersides of the repairs were undercoated IIRC. And the repairs lasted long enough to allow the paint to microcheck.

The really awesome thing - I now have VIN, buildsheet and FT pics on my old car! :thankyou:
Thanks @CanCritter

Thanks for all your input @fury fan.
The 70 Sport Fury is my favorite car and orange is my favorite color. With all your input about rust, the repaint, the swapped 440cid and various parts in the engine bay that have been added/changed it made my decision to pass on it very easy.
Once again the expertise/experience of our members is remarkable and helpful:thankyou:

Thanks for all your input @fury fan.
The 70 Sport Fury is my favorite car and orange is my favorite color. With all your input about rust, the repaint, the swapped 440cid and various parts in the engine bay that have been added/changed it made my decision to pass on it very easy.
Once again the expertise/experience of our members is remarkable and helpful:thankyou:

now let us know which orange you prefer. To avoid misunderstandings: Write down the code
And: Do you want one which had this colour originally or would you be happy (in example) with a repainted white one which wears orange now.

you've gone :realcrazy: Lately..." currently applied paint doesn't matter"?

not at all.
If I buy a factory EB7 blue SFGT and it wears currently an FK5 brown paint job: It is still an eb7 blue car and I can repaint it in the correct colour.
It will always be a factory blue car.

From the collectors point of view: It always counts how it was from the factory not what someone made out of it

now let us know which orange you prefer. To avoid misunderstandings: Write down the code
And: Do you want one which had this colour originally or would you be happy (in example) with a repainted white one which wears orange now.

Favorite color on a c body descending
K3
K5
R6
V2
Various shades of blue / turquoise
Now I have a car with a shiny paintjob so I would prefer original paintjob even if it's not that nice anymore.I would like it to be as rust free as possible but I don't mind faded paint, scratches, dents etc. I think it's pretty unlikely to come across a car being resprayed FK3 being original another color, but it would bother me a little.Mostly because the fender tag shows something different and furthermore without an original FK3 car right next to it, I couldn't verify if the shade is correct or off and therefore a random non - chrysler color.... I don't know I somehow turned into a from-the-factory kind of person.
And just because you triggered me with your FK5-brown comment.. Here's in one picture EV2 in the front, T6 BROWN right hand side and FK5 obviously not brown in the back:rofl:

IMG_20200906_223535.jpg

Where is this magical place? I doubt even a dealership back in the day could've provided such a picture!
Red-Xs are provided so we can all know what's important!
upload_2020-9-6_16-56-8.png

As stated,the current colour on that car is definitely not FK3 but it's pretty neat to see another one out there even with the color change.Maybe a future owner will return it to it's original colour but given that the paint looks quite good and FK3 is a very obscure colour,it most likely remains as is.

My photo garage has several pictures of my FK3 car which still wears it's original paint so it should give an accurate idea of what the colour looks like.

Last edited:
Back