Harbor Freight Floor Jack

Would changing out the O rings n HF jacks to better made versions solve a lot of problems? Just asking
I don't see why it wouldn't? I had to replace the gasket on the gas cap of a 55 yo Coleman stove for it to seal.

I own that HF jack also.
Jeez, all it has to do is lift the car to throw some jack stands under it. Takes what, 5 seconds? All it has to do is lift a car. Not hold it up. I bought this floor jack because yeah, it’s lighter but more because it also had the lowest profile I could find to get under my daily driver and it has a nice flat lifting pad. Does exactly what I needed it for.

Old is GOLD as they say!

1920-30.Walker.5,000lb.Jack.jpg

I've also used this kind both air & mechanical.

172393582973_1.jpg

Also I find that having a beefy enough jack to put under the center of the rear axle to shift the vehicle around even when the rear wheels are off with no fear is kind of handy.

if i remember correctly, harbor freight also sells a low profile aluminum jack that would work better under modern cars.

remember....all that's holding that jack up is a little O ring made in china....Jackstands are your friends.....
Very true. I've never gotten under anything without it being supported by stands in the proper locations and wheels blocked.

I have an old craftsman at home, still works great but heavy. Not sure where it was made but I've had it long enough, 15-20 years probably US.

I think you know I'm the last guy to say buy something from China, but realistically, they pretty much own the hydraulic market. Like trying to find a US made cell phone. As @azblackhemi said, I'll pay more for a real USA product, but not 4x the price for a USA "brand", which is the best you'll probably do. And I'm a lot more concerned about something like a car that employs hundreds of thousands.

I have that exact, aluminum HF jack in my driveway at this moment, which put the rear of my '79 Magnum on jackstands (I checked the quality of the tooth casting) so I could replace a leaking #$%*@ wheel cylinder.

Last edited:
So I take it u don’t have a cell phone or computer, tv orang other appliance or electronics made other than in the good old US of A? Chinese didn’t put Americans outa work. The corporate America did that. Kim

1) I could easily answer no to the foreign-made appliance or TV.

2) It wasn't corporate America or even consumers. It was people of this ilk who slowly sold out America and the free world.

18465768556_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=BeprWcWHD0gAX8F85wW&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet3-1.jpg

What US made aluminum jacks have been made that one should search for on the used market?

To be rebuilt

I’d add the Big Three auto company buyers to that group picture. Before the bankruptcies they demanded we use 18% content from “emerging markets”. Namely China, India and Mexico. Finding 18% of a half billion dollar project that could be purchased from these countries was impossible. GM even relaxed their specs for these items from overseas but not if made here. Also, none of these emerging market countries used union labor. I could buy a superior product and faster delivery from a non-union vendor here but that wasn’t allowed.

1) I could easily answer no to the foreign-made appliance or TV.

2) It wasn't corporate America or even consumers. It was people of this ilk who slowly sold out America and the free world.

View attachment 392582
You forgot the one that got the ball rolling. As soon as he said "government is the problem", deregulation started and any protections that were in place were eliminated and then the outsourcing floodgates opened.
unnamed.jpg

IMHO, the problem is globalization, it's part of progress, it couldn't be stopped even if you wanted. Really got started post WWII. The first president to embrace PRC was Nixon. The rest have only been along for the ride, except Clinton who sold us out by getting PRC into the WTO and outsourcing defense electronics to the PRC.

Newly (2003) declassified documents show that President Bill Clinton personally approved the transfer to China of advanced space technology that can be used for nuclear combat.

The documents show that in 1996 Clinton approved the export of radiation hardened chip sets to China. The specialized chips are necessary for fighting a nuclear war.

Before this gets all political. This is the harbor freight jack you need to buy.

I would love to buy all my stuff from the U.S but the reality is, hardly anything is made here any more. It breaks my heart looking at my old records or car parts and seeing "Made in the USA" in bold letters. This country made everything. We didn't need other country's making our stuff and i wish it was that way again. Like Carlin said, this country has been bought and sold a long time ago. I miss the higher standard for a quality product. Everything is such garbage anymore. Stuff was made with pride back then and it was made to last. Total opposite in todays world. Make it cheap and get it out to the apathetic, consumer public. Cheaper to buy a new one then to fix what you got. The one thing i always try to buy USA are my tools but I'm humble enough to admit that there are some decent Foreign tools out there. I have a healthy mix of both in my tool box. You just gotta know what to get.

Many items advertised as “Made in USA” will state in the fine print “assembled in USA” or “shipped from our US warehouse”. All the parts are stamped “made in china”, “made in Taiwan” etc.

Back