Has anyone installed a headliner in a wagon?

Markus

Reaction score
I got rid of all the factory cardboard since most of them were falling down. I bought a pre-sewn vinyl headliner like the ones in the 2 and 4 doors.
Anyone done one of these? Any tips? The upholstery shop wants $500 to do it.

Thought about doing the headliner in my 65 NYr 4 dr myself but I’ll buck up and have my upholstery guy do it. He was reasonable on my front and back bench seats. Just gotta get the car prepped for a 40 mile drive down some winding mountain roads. Almost there though :steering:

I have a 1969 Chrysler Town & Country station wagon that has the perforated cardboard headliner in it (and falling down too), and Jeff on this site steered me to this company making changeover headliners for wagons. You might want to check them out in case they might have something for you. I was shocked when Jeff showed me this source for solving this kind of problem:

Newstalgia Parts - 1969 Chrysler Town and Country Headliner Conversion

As much as we all like to do things ourselves and be proud of it, sometimes you've got to suck it up... pay the man. These guys are pros, there's a talent to doing that stuff, just like convertible tops, you can screw up one of those in a heartbeat too.
If you attempt it and screw it up you've just lost all the money you paid for the material not to mention the time. Then you have go back to the man with your tail between your legs and pay him anyway.
If he does it, he HAS to do it right and to your satisfaction. If not, he does it again, on his dime.
Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Big John and 78 Broham. I'll add this: My '61 batwagon got a real rattlesnake pattern headliner(perfect light tan color for light reflection) but I paid the price for a PRO to do it. In addition, I found In my research for the '61 4door hardtop that TWO SETS of the front 3 bows from TWO '61-'64 4door sedans wound fill the 9' long roof space perfectly and have the correct span side to side. If you try to use the back 3 bows you'll find that the roof tapers and those back 3 will be TOO SHORT.We just had to weld 1" square metal tabs to all 12 bow endz so we could metal screw them to the side rails after we laced them onto the headliner after the 6 loops had been sown in. DONE AND BULLET PROOF AND LOOKS LIKE MOTHER MOPAR DID IT, Jer

Last edited:
Back