1961 wagon- prayers for front disc conversion

FEandGoingBroke

Reaction score
I have one of 1832 ‘61 Newport four door 6pass hardtop station wagons, his name is Lurch.

I have re done his front brakes, but the right from locks solid and drags, and it’s probably because I have the adjusters swapped to the wrong positions which is an easy fix, but since I’m swapping in a 65 413 in place of the 361, I seek a little more driveability because I’ll be taking him on long road trips with his girlfriend my 64 Galaxie 500 4 door hard top Fastback, with loads of friends and camping gear.

Can anyone give me a list of compatible bolt on Mopar parts for a front disc swap?

Thanks for any suggestions. I appreciate the C and E body forums that I frequent, lots of good folks here!

Warm Regards,

FE-(Gary)

I have one of 1832 ‘61 Newport four door 6pass hardtop station wagons, his name is Lurch.

I have re done his front brakes, but the right from locks solid and drags, and it’s probably because I have the adjusters swapped to the wrong positions which is an easy fix, but since I’m swapping in a 65 413 in place of the 361, I seek a little more driveability because I’ll be taking him on long road trips with his girlfriend my 64 Galaxie 500 4 door hard top Fastback, with loads of friends and camping gear.

Can anyone give me a list of compatible bolt on Mopar parts for a front disc swap?

Thanks for any suggestions. I appreciate the C and E body forums that I frequent, lots of good folks here!

Warm Regards,

FE-(Gary)
Here is some tech info on those brakes. Those dual wheel cylinders in the front are troublesome for sure. I swapped mine out for some discs from an 1980 Aspen but check this out first. It may help you fix yours.

What you’re looking for is a 1976-1989 F,M,J body setup. The spindles are bolt on requiring very little modifications.

I scored this set for about $100, spent about $70 to have them sand blasted and now I have them painted satin canyon black. They look beautiful!! Waiting to get a 62 Chrysler to put them on…
5E757AF5-C342-4EC8-96D3-82441FCB1E2B.jpeg

If you don't mind purchasing form Australia , try Hoppers Stoppers .
I bought a kit from them for my 1961 Newport .
The brackets bolt straight onto your drum brake spindles without them being removed .
Whole kit was easy to install .
With our dollar being crap at the moment it would work in your favour .

What you’re looking for is a 1976-1989 F,M,J body setup. The spindles are bolt on requiring very little modifications.

I scored this set for about $100, spent about $70 to have them sand blasted and now I have them painted satin canyon black. They look beautiful!! Waiting to get a 62 Chrysler to put them on… View attachment 593043
Did you have to source backing plates also? I’m going to start my search locally after I figure out what car models go with these dang Chrysler letters F M and J.

Found a local J body 78 cordoba! That’s basically a bolt on setup for my 61? I mean the spindle should fit my upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends without too much fuss?

Found a local J body 78 cordoba! That’s basically a bolt on setup for my 61? I mean the spindle should fit my upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends without too much fuss?

That’s a B body but I believe those spindles are also the same actually. If the setup is complete, get it. The tie rods need to be shortened a little bit. I may have to end up writing a post both for my and other people’s future reference.

While you’re at it, get the proportioning valve too. You’ll need this for your brakes to work properly

Okay excellent, I’ll be going out to check out the car this week and see what’s left on it. And according to a site called Vans on the Google machine the 77 cordoba is a B body, another site calls it a J body. I’m confused, I just know it’s a full size in 77

Okay excellent, I’ll be going out to check out the car this week and see what’s left on it. And according to a site called Vans on the Google machine the 77 cordoba is a B body, another site calls it a J body. I’m confused, I just know it’s a full size in 77

73 and later B Body spindles are the same as the F,M,J body spindles. The setup will work for your 61.

You’ve got a Full Size Mopar. Not a C body, which started in 65. Yes, the setup will work but it is not a bolt on affair. There’s minimal modification to be made for steering clearance.

Warm Regards,

FE-(Gary)
AAJ brake up in the northwest. Uses Cordoba rotor and Monte Carlo calipers. Work fine on my 61 300G and my 57 300C.

Back