Headers. Why?

Well this thread made a wrong turn in Albuquerque! I still like to "look" at headers! I like forks too!

I think it was a left turn at Albuquerque! That damn wabbit!

left-turn-at-Albuquerque.jpg

I don't know about Fusie's and Formals but Slabs don't weigh that much more than a Big block B or E body and they have the same type of suspension .. not all have power windows, power seats, and A/C etc so the same mods will work the same way and have the same effect on a C body.

If you are the person who would increase the performance capability and reduce weight on a B or E body I don't see anything wrong with doing the same things to a C body .. it's not stupid or wrong IMHO

Headers on a Formal - no way.
On a Slab - maybe.
On a Fusie - Somehow, I see a '70 Fury I sedan with a 440 automatic in Red all over, with headers. Correct application here!

Headers on a Formal - no way.
On a Slab - maybe.
On a Fusie - Somehow, I see a '70 Fury I sedan with a 440 automatic in Red all over, with headers. Correct application here!

The 67 Fury in my signature was a 383 2 BBL. I put a 68 383 4 BBL intake, Carter AVS, un-silenced air cleaner, 3.23 SG and Magnum exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust on it and it made a very significant difference. They respond well to upgrades just like any other Mopar. I was going to put some HD springs on it next but traded it to my Dad.

My 67' Newport 440 HP weighs 3965 from the factory. No A/C, manual windows, manual steering, and brakes. It is a C body muscle car. Now, the number one choice of Highway patrol dept's in the day was the 67-71 Plymouth Fury. It weighed in with the same options at 3535 as a two door sedan, and 3690 as a four door Sedan. The Fury also had a shorter wheel base than the Chrysler or Dodge. It was a fast unit, With the 440HP they would keep up with any stock GTX, any day. The GTX was also 3,535.
If I wanted to drag race, I would run The C body class, and I would clean up on any Ford or GM from the day.

I can say with absolute certainty that the North Dakota police car that stopped my buddies 71 GTX back in 1972 was taken quite seriously. I saw that Plymouth pass both racers while using the parking lane, and go around both of them.

That's really interesting about the weights. I always thought my '68 Fury and my grandma's '69 felt more nimble and quicker than a big car should, but I didn't realize there was such a weight difference between the Plymouth and Dodge lines. Helps to explain how the old boat did so well on the backroads quarter mile way back when, even with an open diff. Had to be careful off the line but I beat small block Chevelles and Camaros that looked like they should weigh 1,000 lbs less than the Fury.

Why not? But better money spent getting 2 1/2" pipes all the way up to manifolds 2 1/4 at the very least, and a x pipe.

My Polara surprised me with how close it is in weight to the 68-70 B body cars. Why not make it fast(er)?

Last edited:
Back