Headers?

Big Blue

Reaction score
Has anyone found a header that works for our BB C-bodies? Looking at my options here. I emailed Hooker about their 74-77 C-body headers and their reply was they have not test fitted them for a 78 New Yorker.

Has anyone tried shorty headers or Exhaust manifold porting with success on their late body C's?

Try hedman too, I used hedman full length headers on my 383 in my 65 fury, they took a little massageing in a couple of areas for clearance, but my theory was that if I'm getting headers sent all the way to New Zealand from summit without knowing for sure if they would fit, I would go for the cheapest option. they were only about $180 us when I bought them. A mini starter would of made it much easier to get the drivers side on

I had to massage the headers in my lil red warlock to clear the cross member and a couple spots just to get a socket on the header bolts.

Thanks for trying. Apparently nobody else does either. I may take a gamble on them this fall.

Sorry man I dont know as my only experience is with the hedmans I bought and my 65 fury

Sorry man I dont know as my only experience is with the hedmans I bought and my 65 fury

Sorry, I didn't mean the good folks here. I meant the people who manufacture headers. "We have not test fitted for your application." Send me a set and I will test fit them! :)

I got the same reply when I called and decided to go with duals from the manifolds back with Flowmaster mufflers.

Sorry, I didn't mean the good folks here. I meant the people who manufacture headers. "We have not test fitted for your application." Send me a set and I will test fit them! :)

No worries mate, I had the same issues when I was looking for mine, none of the companies really want to confirm or deny

Yeah, yeah, I know, HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION!!! All in the theme of Easter right? Anyways the more I look around the more I see people saying that no one makes any drop in, bolt on headers for late model C-Bodies. My question now is, what about stock manifolds? Has anyone experimented with these? Over on the proboards bluesmobile site (I know, those guys) the found some old posting from various resources saying the best stock flowing manifold for an RB motor were the 1962-1964 max wedge motors. Furthermore they go one to say that the best flowing "stock" looking manifolds would be casting numbers 2806900 and 2863409. My question is, has anyone experimenting using better flowing manifolds that are still ma mopar made and would look "natural" under our hoods and still fit?

FWIW, I've read that the factory74 BB manifolds flowed the best. Even over HP manifolds.

< Sent from my tablet >

I heard that they flow well for factory manifolds, just not the best. Problem is my 440 came out of an unknown year motor home so I don't think those manifolds are compatible with passenger car applications, but I could be wrong...

Headers suck...they leak and they rust out and they burn up the plug wires. Unless it is a serious race car, go with the best set of stock manifolds you can get. they do flow really well out of the box. My buddy built a 400 (upped compression, Comp Cams camshaft etc) for his 78 NYB and I found it interesting that he used stock intake and exhaust manifolds (he used 75-78 HP exhaust). I'd say he was right because his 400 was a downright angry engine that spun the sure grip at will.

Back