Heat Shield Gasket for 2806178 Intake?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know the OG Carter carbs that came on our cars had a thick heat insulator gasket. A quick search shows the Edelbrock 9265 and 9266 gaskets. I am unsure if these would line up on the intake though? A little stumped here. Would appreciate any help in the right direction... My AVS 2 came with a thin gasket which will probably do the job but as our big blocks tend to run hot, I'd like to avoid percolation / vapor lock!

The thick base gaskets for BB mopars with a 4bbl started on 1970 Model year. They changed the choke design and the intake manifolds From 1969 and back which use thin gaskets.

yes BB and SB 2bbls use thick bas gaskets in the 60’s.

Last edited:
For decades, the carb manufacuters have provided the thin gasket with replacement carburetors, even if the OEM base gasket was the thicker insulator item.

Seems like the OEM base gaskets have been thicker since the middle 1960s or earlier. Perhaps not as the 1968-version gasket with the metal bushings in the manifold stud holes, but certainly not the thin gaskets. I;ll have to do some research on this.

The thicker gasket will affect the choke operation, so a bit of tweaking of the length of the arm on the thermostat might be needed.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

My ‘68 383 2bbl always had a thick gasket. Around 5/16”-3/8” thick. Choke and linkage would have difficulty with a thin gasket.

For decades, the carb manufacuters have provided the thin gasket with replacement carburetors, even if the OEM base gasket was the thicker insulator item.

Seems like the OEM base gaskets have been thicker since the middle 1960s or earlier. Perhaps not as the 1968-version gasket with the metal bushings in the manifold stud holes, but certainly not the thin gaskets. I;ll have to do some research on this.

The thicker gasket will affect the choke operation, so a bit of tweaking of the length of the arm on the thermostat might be needed.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
My ‘68 383 2bbl always had a thick gasket. Around 5/16”-3/8” thick. Choke and linkage would have difficulty with a thin gasket.

Thanks fellas, linkage isn’t an issue. My carb has electric choke. It’s a new Edelbrock AVS II

I used this Felpro 60123 on my 1970 440 factory intake with AVS2. Good results, no vapor lock, etc. .25" thick, I believe
IMG_20200829_130201.jpg

IMG_20200829_130213.jpg

Back