Heater box cables, non AC

66furys

Reaction score
I am at the point that I will have to work on the stinkin cables......the reason I say that has to do with getting to the clips on the box. Not nice. But, my current old cables are long, and appear to be way too long. For instance, the defrost cable is maybe 24 inches, for one that should be about 12. Also, the heat valve cable is maybe 20 and should be 16 for direct route to the controller. Am trying to find a couple short ones now....not easy since most do not include length. But, am wondering if anyone with a 66 or so fury has measured their three cables, either sheath or overall length. Would be of help in my dilemma at hand. thanks

Not being able to either find them of specific length, or for the C body.....I got a generic lawn throttle cable. The inner wire is easily bent to a circle, so will build my own. Also, the pins are 0.20 in or 13/64. I will try some metric star clips or push nuts as 5mm is close.

I finally found that scott drake carries the clamp plates or clips. They are mustang style but I will be able to make them work. Problem to make your own is the channel in center of clip....hard to replicate.

I have successfully made the first long cable, for defrost. It must loop under the speedo, to align the clip holders. But, using a .2 driver bit, you can tightly wrap two loops in the wire....make sure of the movement amounts on each end. and also make sure the two ends are in the same plane. Finally, I think the 5mm clips are too tight..they can be pressed on with tools, but not under the dash. I will use a small dia grinder to open them up a taste until I get a good fit. But, the lawn cables work fine, and can be much more easily bent than the OEM cables.

Just trying to provide some experience for the unsuspecting later work. Just finished the second cable....and to my dismay the new one is harder to bend the end loops. So, this new one is a full 0.062 whereas the first one was 0.053. If you want to do this, recommend you ask about wire diameter, and get the thin one. It is also more flexible under the dash.

Back