Heater box linkage and vacuum operation

Troy88

Reaction score
Hey all. Helping a fellow member with a 66 New Yorker(5.7hemi, 8hp). We had to modify the evaporator and as part of the job, the heater core and heater control valves, cables, and vacuum switch in the dash. We carefully labeled everything on disassembly and put everything back, but it was obvious we weren't the first people in there. None of the heater or air conditioning has worked since he's owned the car.

We have it back together with the super seceded vacuum switch, and filled with r134. All sealed up! But the vacuum actuators don't work properly. I think the linkage on the end of the heater box is incorrect. Problem is none of this system appears in ANY literature we can find. I even called and spoke to Rich at HeaterBoxGuy.com who suggested the trash can for the whole assembly and vintage air. I understand that option, but it seems like we are very close to finished with the route we have taken.

Does anyone have a vacuum diagram or even better pictures of this linkage in a functional car? Our fresh air never moves regardless of switch position.

PXL_20231122_232854017.jpg

I seem to recall the vac hose routings and what works when are illustrated in the Chrysler FSM (free download at www.mopar.com)?

CBODY67

Maybe you can find one at a hardware store.
Ace Hardware stores typically have a section of them where their loose hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, etc are located.

did you check all the vacuum actuators to see if their diaphrams were still good?...i used a harbor freight hand vacuum pump to make sure they all moved and held pressure in both directions... had 3 parts boxes and still had to find one nos actuator to get it working...from what i recall the diagram in the factory manual was confusing...it was just a line drawing and the way it was laid out what you would naturally assume was one actuator was actually the other one which confused the hell out of me....just thinking about it again i think there was actually a misprint on the FSM as well that had the hoses reversed on one of the actuators...unfortunately had hernia surgery Monday and have no idea when i'll be able to stagger back to the shop to check my notes or to see if i have that spring...i had the entire box on the bench in front of me hooked to the switch and fed it vacuum through my a/c evacuation pump with a gauge and a bleed valve to only feed it like 8'' vacuum and it was still a royal PIA to figure out how and why everything needed to work but i sure didn't want to have to troubleshoot it once it was back in the car

Last edited:
did you check all the vacuum actuators to see if their diaphrams were still good?...i used a harbor freight hand vacuum pump to make sure they all moved and held pressure in both directions... had 3 parts boxes and still had to find one nos actuator to get it working...from what i recall the diagram in the factory manual was confusing...it was just a line drawing and the way it was laid out what you would naturally assume was one actuator was actually the other one which confused the hell out of me....just thinking about it again i think there was actually a misprint on the FSM as well that had the hoses reversed on one of the actuators...unfortunately had hernia surgery Monday and have no idea when i'll be able to stagger back to the shop to check my notes or to see if i have that spring...i had the entire box on the bench in front of me hooked to the switch and fed it vacuum through my a/c evacuation pump with a gauge and a bleed valve to only feed it like 8'' vacuum and it was still a royal PIA to figure out how and why everything needed to work but i sure didn't want to have to troubleshoot it once it was back in the car

Awesome thanks for your help. I think we have a way forward til the next little issue.

Back