Heating your workspace

What are you using to heat your shop/garage this Winter?

• Nothing

• Wood-burning stove

• Oil-burning stove

• Natural Gas heater (permanent)

• Propane heater (permanent)

• Portable gas heater (propane or NG)

• Gasoline heater

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been using a parabolic heat dish which I set at about 6 feet away aimed at the area I am working. Plus I wear about 3 layers.

That and a very good sound system make the garage bearable to work in.

30' x 45' heated with LP gas. Ceiling mounted 75K BTU unit. I keep it at 50-52* when not working and bump it up to 68-70* when I'm out there working a project. I'm too OLD for COLD.

John: That sounds like a plan. Don't know if you have the room, but we built the Garage Mahal to a dimension of 24' X 40'. I thought that was huge; it surprised me just how quickly we filled it up with cars and other related stuff.

Well Rip, I have plenty of time to consider it. My current thoughts are to build a structure along this line. Except that I want two doors in the long side and one in the short.
0042-ma80zcubzkgdrh11rvbid093dders8y6v69q0xsi74.jpg

We've got a lot of mills around here that you can buy hemlock direct from. It would have a nice high ceiling. There would be both inside and outside access to the loft. I also have connections at the local rebar shop, I worked there for 6-1/2 years.

Here's a layout of the land.
upload_2017-12-29_10-34-2.jpeg

It looks pretty spread out, but really it's less than 100' from either the house or the proposed garage site to the wood boiler. When I had the property timbered a few years ago I had the landing strategically placed just so that I would be able to use it for a build site later.

I need to replace the deck on the back of the house this summer so I'll be making provisions to bring in the water lines from the boiler. Even though the the lines for the boiler are usually run in 4" pipe I think I'm going to pipe a 6" pipe in place so that when the time comes I'll be able to run the water lines with easy. This may also be how I get power out to the other garage - I'll see when I get there. I don't necessarily want another meter.

I've been using a parabolic heat dish which I set at about 6 feet away aimed at the area I am working. Plus I wear about 3 layers.

That and a very good sound system make the garage bearable to work in.
"60s on 6" Sirius/XM radio sure makes mine more comfortable!

Yes, music makes garage life better....Neil Young, Rush, Gin Blossoms, Tom Petty, The Outfield, Metallica, Three Doors Down.....the list goes on and on. Helps keep it toasty when working, but it's not REALLY work now is it!?!

In the next few years I hope to hope an outdoor wood boiler in

I know that these "water stoves" work, but I just don't understand the draw for people wanting to heat their house. If you live out in the boonies with scarce/unreliable utility service then it makes sense, but for most people where I see these water stoves utility service is readily available and reliable. Every one that I've run into with one around here preaches about how they save money monthly, but when you ask them about actual cost it quickly adds up and seems to be more expensive up front and overall than traditional utility service, then you have to add in dedicated time for maintenance.

If you do install one I'm sure it will heat things nicely. My sister and brother in-law have their house set up with one.

I know that these "water stoves" work, but I just don't understand the draw for people wanting to heat their house. If you live out in the boonies with scarce/unreliable utility service then it makes sense, but for most people where I see these water stoves utility service is readily available and reliable. Every one that I've run into with one around here preaches about how they save money monthly, but when you ask them about actual cost it quickly adds up and seems to be more expensive up front and overall than traditional utility service, then you have to add in dedicated time for maintenance.

If you do install one I'm sure it will heat things nicely. My sister and brother in-law have their house set up with one.
I'm not way out in the boonies, but we are a little ways out. I've got 19-1/2 acres that is predominately wooded and my home already has hot water base board heat therefore I don't have to modify the house. Many people with these systems either have to go somewhere to cut wood or have it hauled in. I'll just take the Jeep and trailer for a 5 minute ride into the woods to get what I need. Having it this readily available I'll be able to get wood all year long.

The outdoor system will be sistered to the NG system that is already present so that if I have to go away for an extended period of time or when I become an old man with a hat I won't have to undo anything.

The only other thing that I really need is a moderately sized generator.

Well, I wont use my garage cause I don't really have one. My father has a larger barn also. He installed a wood stove when it was new, It works alright. If you can a wood furnace is much better ( has a fan that you can duct the heat all over the garage). He did get a inexpensive house gas furnace that he is currently plumbing into the barn.. he has been doing it for years.... but they are made to work well perhaps less than industrial grade units.

Three car attached to the house. Insulated walls with weather strip around the two overhead doors. The doors are not insulated. The furnace is mounted high in one corner. I keep the thermostat at 50F unless I have big job for which I'll crank it up to 70F. Today it's sitting at 50F while the outside temp is -25C (-13F) and the furnace isn't working very hard to keep it steady.

The furnace is natural gas, about 45,000 BTU

79 - Garage Furnace.JPG

Yes, music makes garage life better....Neil Young, Rush, Gin Blossoms, Tom Petty, The Outfield, Metallica, Three Doors Down.....the list goes on and on. Helps keep it toasty when working, but it's not REALLY work now is it!?!
And i little "Air Guitar" to break things up!!

I use a old house oil furnace that I modified to run on a motor oil off road diesel mix. I do not let it run all the time and I have a good supply of used motor oil 11 gallons a pop plus the cars, friends cars.

No garage.....I just hear gunshots in front or behind my house.

But that is cool......it is the sound of freedom!

Machine gun fire, tank main gun fire, or artillery fire. Can easily hear it from my house. Rattles the windows sometimes.

All good.....and comforting!

Can hear Reveille and Retreat played from the Proving Ground every day too!

just bought this 50-80 btu lp 360 deg heater free standing unit from homee' dee . 100 bucks . works okay , my shop is tin with a high openning slider doors . not an air tight setup . so a tent inside to hold some of the heat . and it is easy to move around with a wide base , stands about 24'' high . easy start . just what the doctor ordered to cut the cold chill off . my shop it an airy space , and i have a co2 detector as well .

Machine gun fire, tank main gun fire, or artillery fire.

We hear gunfire around here 5-6 days a week, and once in a blue moon someone runs a full auto something, but you're talking GUN fire:wideyed:. I'm not so sure that I would want to live close enough to that for my windows to rattle. But I'd love to be the one responsible for the rattling :usflag:

Back