Heavy Duty Trucks Emissions Testing

Welp you can thank the assholes that mod their trucks to 'Roll Coal' and think it's pretty hilarious to do it every chance they get.
Yep, I totally agree with that quote. It gives legitimate tuners a bad name. I've had my truck expertly tuned for quite a while and the only time I saw a hint of smoke was pulling a steep grade with my 5th wheel. It also safely makes about 150hp more than stock. Back when I had to do yearly emissions, it also ran with less opacity and lower Nox than stock if you can believe that. I used to have the county AQD print outs from stock to tuned to prove it.

I just wanted to clarify that I had not read the opening statement in this thread as carefully as I should have and my apologies for my misunderstanding of some of the comments.

Apparently this applies mostly to trucks with on board diagnostic systems and the information can be gained remotely.

I wasn't aware that the on road analyzers were so capable to just do a drive by determination.

Inspection requirements for 2 times a year for non-OBD equipment seems over the top though as I hate doing them once every two years in California is currently required for my daily driver vehicles built in 1997 without an OBD system that California will accept for smog check purposes (2000 and later only).

I can see why California is doing this though since the emission/health benefits seem to be huge and worth the cost and minimal inconvenience to most such owners if they don't tamper with the control systems.

Its getting hotter here than ever before so we are going to do something about it, not just sit on our hands and wring them everyday waiting for a miracle. This thread is getting too political so I am out of this discussion. If you guys want to believe that EVs are not the future, then fine. None of the major car companies are with you - none. What do they know that you don't? They don't make investments in loser technologies. There won't be any new sales on non-EVs anyway since the manufacturers know combustion engines are not going to sell anyway. So I see the mandate by our governor is pretty much a non-issue.

Watch the movie "Elysium"...that is what lurks if we don't stop the forced "green nonsense" now. Today.

I don’t have a horse in this race because there’s no diesels in my corral. But I have historic trivia to share on California & Nox.

When the Cali authorities started highway testing for that pollutant with specially made equipment the analysis afterwards stated that it would have been much cheaper to just buy the highest polluters new Cadillacs.

Another strange trivia is; several years ago while listening to radio mechanics “ Click & Clack” they mentioned that if someone fell asleep in their garage with the car running and the doors closed the occupant would not died because the new automobiles don’t put out the emissions like the old cars. I know it sounds wrong or crazy but it’s what was said.

I know both fellows are gone, Click & Clack, but it was a fun & educational show.

Just remember airplanes and trains are exempt from any emissions. So you pee-ons that take the bus will get your bus inspected, but if you spend the money to fly in you get a pass.
New Jersey has been doing this for years. They set up on a overpass smog your truck as you go under. Then another Barney Fife sitting on the ramp pulls you over and issues a "excessive emissions ticket", all legit in N.J., wink-wink.
At least CA. is going to plug into your truck (more civil rights you get to lose as a CDL holder) so it looks legit. Not sure how personal RV is going to fall under no warrant, probably will not allow you in a State or National park without it, so they will get you to "volunteer" emission testing.

Back