Heavy Metal

The first hi-res photo of China's J-35 carrier-borne stealth fighter has surfaced on social media.

Bearing striking resemblance to the F-35, however of twin-engined configuration, the aircraft appears to be intended to replace the J-15 aboard China's planned Fleet of Type 003 aircraft carriers, since the nose landing gear is clearly reinforced for catapult launches.

IMG_9841.jpeg

The first hi-res photo of China's J-35 carrier-borne stealth fighter has surfaced on social media.

Bearing striking resemblance to the F-35, however of twin-engined configuration, the aircraft appears to be intended to replace the J-15 aboard China's planned Fleet of Type 003 aircraft carriers, since the nose landing gear is clearly reinforced for catapult launches.

View attachment 650585
Boy that sure does look like a 35. Wonder if it actually flies.
Makes the F 22 even more badass because it is exclusive and not as easily reverse engineered. Hurts the pocketbook, but it's nice to know it's a one off not shared.

Last edited:
Yes
I suspect that it was incorrectly rigged. With over 5000 produced, it had to have occurred.

i'll be danged.... 1/3 of each wing missing, and still with the "oomph" to get the lift from two "stubs".

carrier catapult launch helped, but stall speed has to go up, and that would explain 180 knot landing speed (normal speed is like 125 knots I read) on ground (not the carrier).
1710777675620.png
1710777710688.png

Sources: F-4 flying with the wings folded | F-4 Phantom II Society

another source below: These photos prove F-4 Phantom and F-14 Tomcat could take off and land with folded wings

1710778138047.png

"Six years later was the turn of an F-4B (BuNo. 152327) aircrew belonging to VF-14 Tophatters to experience a “wings folded” flight: in fact, on May 10, 1966, LT JG Greg Scwalber and his RIO (Radar Intercept Officer) Bill Wood were launched from USS Roosevelt (CVA-42) and once airborne they discovered that their Phantom II was flying with outboard wings folded.

They immediately understood that the locking mechanism was not properly set before launch. They quickly dumped all external stores, dropped the flaps and after declaring an emergency they diverted to the nearest airport that was Navy airfield in Cuba.

After 59 miles of flight Scwalber and Wood were able to made a successful arrested landing at a speed of 170-180 knots. As happened with the Crusader the F-4B BuNo 152327 returned into service few days later.

At least one Air Force crew had the chance to experience this strange kind of flight with their F-4, but the Rhino revealed to be a very robust airframe and it always brought its aircrew back home even without its wings fully opened."

Well known F15 with one wing.
1710786631635.png

I believe it was a Israeli owned F15 that suffered a mid air collision. Landed with only one wing. A testament to the F15s badass reputation 104-0

Stumbled across this looking at other stuff. Didn't quite know where to put it, so I erred on this thread (can only blame myself for going of on a bit of a tangent).

So I put it in two places. Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

1934 Mack rig done specially for Gilmore Oil. 30,000 lbs, 2,200 gallon capacity.

I looked, hoping to see if this "streamlined-design, neon masterpiece survives today. No luck, but maybe one of you folks can get lucky and find it?

source: Парадный бидон с иллюминацией "в интерьерах". (russian site, so take care if you go there).

1710953897937.png
1710953921407.png
1710953953961.png
1710953975568.png
1710954026678.png

btw, $113K in 2024 dollars (NOT including cost of base truck) to trick out this thing. Guess those Gilmore cats had it going on!
1710955921902.png

Last edited:
The story behind this event is quite interesting and is explained by Brian Shul in his book Sled Driver.

“I was flying the SR-71 out of RAF Mildenhall, England, with my back-seater, Walt Watson; we were returning from a mission over Europe and the Iron Curtain when we received a radio transmission from home base. As we scooted across Denmark in three minutes, we learned that a small RAF base in the English countryside had requested an SR-71 fly-past. The air cadet commander there was a former Blackbird pilot, and thought it would be a motivating moment for the young lads to see the mighty SR-71 perform a low approach. No problem, we were happy to do it. After a quick aerial refuelling over the North Sea, we proceeded to find the small airfield.

Walter had a myriad of sophisticated navigation equipment in the back seat, and began to vector me toward the field. Descending to subsonic speeds, we found ourselves over a densely wooded area in a slight haze. Like most former WWII British airfields, the one we were looking for had a small tower and little surrounding infrastructure. Walter told me we were close and that I should be able to see the field, but I saw nothing. Nothing but trees as far as I could see in the haze. We got a little lower, and I pulled the throttles back from 325 knots we were at. With the gear up, anything under 275 was just uncomfortable. Walt said we were practically over the field-yet; there was nothing in my windscreen. I banked the jet and started a gentle circling maneuver in hopes of picking up anything that looked like a field.

IMG_9868.jpeg

In 1972, the black painted flagship F-4J Phantom II of the Navy’s VX-4 “Evaluators” flew in formation with an Air Force SR-71 Blackbird, resulting in an amazing photo still famous today. Recently, the flagship F/A-18F Super Hornet of VX-9 “Vampires” got to recreate the famous formation photo with a U-2S of the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center at the end of their test missions over the Mojave Desert. According to the photo’s metadata, the formation was flown on Nov. 27, 2023, however the photos were published just few days ago. thank you to Dave Szymanski 

Note: unfortunately, the black F-14 not shown.

IMG_9869.jpeg

1710982331724.png

Willow Run B-24 Assembly Line. By November 1943, they were rolling out a new B-24 every hour. At its peak monthly production (August 1944), Willow Run produced 428 B-24s with the highest production listed as 100 completed bombers flying away from Willow Run between April 24 and April 26, 1944. By 1945, Ford produced 70% of the B-24s in two 9-hour shifts. Ford built 6,972 of the 18,482 total B-24s and produced kits for 1,893 more to be assembled by the other manufacturers. The B-24 holds the distinction of being the most produced heavy bomber in history.

Last edited:
200 Ton rail shop, electric crane at the Canadian National Railway shop near Montreal, ca. 1940

1711051897342.png

source: Electric Travelling Crane - Wonders of World Engineering

excerpt:

"An excellent example of modern overhead crane practice is seen in the photograph above, which shows an electric crane capable of lifting a load of 200 tons, and made by the Dominion Bridge Company Limited, near Montreal, for the Canadian National Railway.

Here, a 4-8-2 locomotive, without its tender, is being lifted from its bogie; but that is only one of the operations of which an overhead travelling crane is capable."

Last edited:
Back