Hello from Wisconsin

That you for the awesome information on my car! I hope to have it back on the road soon once I get the last batch of parts delivered from Rock Auto.

Yes, I need a new heater valve for sure. This one is junk and leaking. Thank you for the links and information. I will see about ordering that next.

You guys are the best! Thank you again. I hope to see you later this year for the get togethers. Are those still on?

It's starting to come together. Here are a few pics. Still alot of assembly left to do but better done in the daylight.

20200521_233922.jpg

20200521_234629.jpg

20200521_235437.jpg

I am getting everything hooked back up and having an issue locating where the ground plug for the distributor plugs in. See picture attached. Any ideas. Of course this is one of the only things that I don't have a picture of when I took it apart.

20200607_232155.jpg

That unit attached to the distributor is grounded when the carburetor throttle lever returns to idle position. When at idle, the unit will electrically retard the timing a specified number of degrees (usually 5 degrees) to improve deceleration and idle HC emissions.

Much of the time when one of those carburetors gets rebuilt, that ground contact on the end of the carburetor throttle arm adjacent to the idle speed set screw is discarded or it may still be there. But in any case, I personally wouldn't bother with it since that electrical retard device on your distributor probably doesn't work anymore anyway, and even if it did, it really wouldn't make any difference in emission levels of your vehicle enough to bother with (back in 1971 it was a measureable difference but no one cares about these old cars' emissions any more).

So just leave it disconnected (bury it in the other wires in that area) and set your timing to its normal basic setting (which is usually around 10 degrees BTDC) and drive on...................................

I just like to have the unit on my distributors for "correctness of appearance" reasons only.

I doubt but few folks know what it is for anyway.

Just curious, in what state was your car originally sold. If it was a destined to California car, the emission label would be blue and white whereas if another other state it would be green and white? That label is usually on the driver side inner fender. Or maybe you have the original paperwork?
Thanks

Sorry for the delayed response. Here is a picture of the emissions label. My Great Great Grandfather bought it new in WI. I will just tuck the wire away. I noticed it when reassembling the top side of the engine and couldn't remember disconnecting it. Thanks for all the help again! I hope to have the Monaco on the road again soon.

20200302_124946.jpg

Any chance you might make it to the Waupun Show on June 28?

Update: Eden Meats and Catering a division of Wild Goose Cafe will be supplying food and drink at our event. They have a strong positive reputation.
100_0591.JPG

@ayilar
I can try to see if I can make it to the show in Waupun at the end of the month, but I am not sure my car will be ready. It is now ready for a new exhaust since the majority of the engine work is done except new plugs, wires, and adjusting the timing that I will do once the exhaust is on. Here are some pics. The show in Waupun looks like a good time. I will see if I can make it and bring the kids.

20200610_234424.jpg

20200610_234440.jpg

For the new plugs and wires, if you have not yet bought the parts and want to go correct, here is what I got for my own 1971 Monaco.

For the plug wires, I suggest you go with Lectric Limited. On the advice of @Big_John, I put them on both Medina, and they (i) look great and (ii) crucially, work great. They are not cheap, but they really improved things on Medina. I therefore bought another set for Snow White, my 1970 Polara 'vert, for looks/correctness (that car's plug wires had just been replaced by the previous owner and were working just fine, so I moved them to another car that I own for which there are no OEM-look repros).

For your Monaco, made in Q2-1971 1971 (build date is May 3), I would recommend the LL set date-coded for Q1-1971: Spark Plug Wire Set

PS: You should also look at whether you have all the grommets that keep the wires tucked away. I suspect you do, as all of my cars had them still. If you do not, then LL makes repros.

Going for new dual exhaust tomorrow! I will not be able to make it to Waupun since it is my anniversary this weekend but I do hope to make it to Rockford later this year for the ride.

20200625_235741.jpg

20200625_235728.jpg

20200625_235710.jpg

That’s a great reason to miss a show. Congrats and can’t wait to see your car later this summer !

Back