Hello from Wisconsin

Welcome, @1971Monaco. Any update on the car? I am particularly interested in your experience with the brake lines.

@ayilar,
I am finished with the brake lines after many years of trying to work on it. It stops great now. I have the intake, valve covers, and exhaust manifolds off to fix some oils leaks, rid the valley pan of rodents, and fix an exhaust leak at the heat riser on the passenger side. I will be paining the parts in the next few days.

20200302_124806.jpg

By the way, it is crazy how hard it is to find Mopar blue engine paint. I thought it would be on the shelf. O'Reilly's had to order it from Milwaukee area. They had Mopar orange, Chevy orange, and 3 shades of Ford blue.

excellent news on the progress. Any chance you might be ready in time for the June “Volo” or for the next CATL?

Sorry for the lack of links. My bad.

@sixpkrt has organized the Midwest C-body meeting got the past 3 years at Volo. This year’s event will be held in Randal Oaks.

You can read about the first CATL here. That’s a driving event in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. I plan to organize the next one sometime in September.

I will try to be at both events. Sounds like a great time. I am just up the Lake in Green Bay, WI and hopefully the old Monaco is up for the trip. Otherwise, I will put it on the trailer and bring come down to IL. I connected with Wyatt via Facebook, and he has inspired me to get this Monaco on the road as soon as possible. I might need some parts and now I know where to get them. :)

@1971Monaco -- I just noticed, in one of your 2015 pictures, that the right rear tire has the double stripe of the originals. If I were you, and I still had that tire, I would NOT throw it away when you replace the tires.

As for WW tire suggestions when it is time to to replace yours, I'd suggest Hankook Optimo H724 in the 235/75 R15 size. The price varies quite a bit depending on sales. To wit, Discount Tires currently has the tire for $88 a piece but last summer I bought five for Medina at $30 less per tire. I thought at the time that they were being discontinued, but it seems that they are still being sold. I plan to get five for the 1973 NYB that I just bought.

@ayilar
Yes, I will hold on to that tire. I have no use for any of the 4 on my car right now since I will be putting all new tires on soon too. Thank you for the suggestion on replacement tires. It's like you read my mind.

Exhaust manifold paint is drying in the milkhouse. Intake manifold, valley pan, and valve covers are next.

20200322_223209.jpg

When that high temp paint burns off listen to this idea. A few years ago I attended a car show and next to me was a male in his 80's with a '49 Ford. We were talking and he said look at his exposed exhaust manifolds. The looked great, flat silver color with no rust. He told me that he uses "Anti Seize". Later that year I tried it and it worked and looks great. Sort of life the miracle metal polish we see at car shows, uses "Brasso" its been around maybe 100 years and low cost. And don't forget to use that on the cloudy headlight of your modern car.

@Pete Kaczmarski
I will definitely give anti-seize a try when it burns off. Burnt heat paint still looks better than rust to me. I hope I can get the rest of the parts painted and back on the car soon. We finally had some nice weather that would have been great for a ride.

Rare double tag! It is very full. Even though DH43N1D202118 had an even fuller one, that long-defunct GJ4 4-door hardtop is missing the code M15 that your car has for a moulding that I believe is specific to 4-door sedans (code 41 like yours).

Here is a decode for DH41L1D276289, courtesy of MyMopar with a few edits as the info is not 100% correct (as @69CoronetRT often points out):

DH: Dodge Monaco (High)
41: 4 Door Sedan

L: 383 275HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
1: 1971
D: Belvidere, IL, USA

276289: Sequence number

E61: 383 cid 2 barrel V8 290hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GE7: Burgundy Poly Exterior Color
H7X9: Trim - High, Cloth & Vinyl, Black
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
503: Build Date: May 03
123101: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
U: USA Specifications
A03: Deluxe Light Package
A07: A/C Special Package
A24: Trunk & Spare Tire Dress-up

A76: Brougham Package
A94: Gold Duster Special Package
B51: Power Brakes
C51: Bench Seat-Split 50/50
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G31: OS RH Manual Standard Mirror
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror

H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
L25: Trunk Lamp
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
L35: Cornering Lamps

M15: Up Door Front Moulding
M25: Wide sill moldings
M28: Front Bumper Periphery
M36: Rear Bumper Periphery
M85: Front & Rear Bumper Guards

N88: Auto Speed Control

R13: Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)

V01: Mono Tone Paint Treatment
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
Y14: Sold Car

Note: for 1970, @Bill Watson has informed us that the Brougham Package included "50/50 split cloth & vinyl bench seat with individual arm rests and reclining seat back, trunk dress up, rear seat sound insulation pad, vinyl roof and "Brougham" nameplates on C-pillar on Monaco models." Not sure if the details are exactly the same for 1971, but his list closely meshes with your tag. For example, here is what the seats of a Brougham look like, courtesy of the Hamtramck Registry.

upload_2020-5-20_6-2-58.png

Last edited:
@1971Monaco: I like how your restoration is going! A comment and a suggestion:

1. I agree that finding the paint for our 1971 engines is a pain. @71Polara383 and I went through the experience for my own Monaco last month.

2. I noticed that your heater control valve is shot. I ran into the same issue with Medina, my '71 Monaco, and ended up replacing the leaky original with an Everco H1949. Here is a post I made with links to references explaining my decision and a short evaluation of the replacement valve's performance. I recently bought two more from the same eBay vendor, who has the lowest price among all the vendors I could find with good feedback and whom I had found thanks to @saforwardlook

Last edited:
Back