HELP Need Opinions on my Fury Build

FuriousMopar1968

Reaction score
As of now my 68' Fury build is going to be sporting a 1971 440 .30 over with most likely 9:1 compression (unfortunately, I know that's the weak link
down.gif
) with a 1987-Weiand high rise Tunnel Ram with a triple Bug catcher air scoop, Dual 600 Vacuum Holleys, 21-225-4 Comp Xtreme Energy Cam, TTI 1 7/8in (Ceramic Coated / Thermal Barrier) headers to 3in collector, 3in H pipe exhaust to flowmaster super 10, and ported & polished 346 1971 Heads (no flow sheet so assuming no better than stock performance from it), 727 Automatic Trans (possible shift kit) with a Hughes 3500 stall converter, and a 4.10 rear in a 489 case. Note that this is roughly a 4000 lb car, and mainly a street car to be driven 2 days a week. (The picture is the ol' girl before, she's all apart currently.)

Anyone have any opinions if this is even remotely a decent set up?
Any and all input will be very appreciated, thank you!

image.jpeg

Sounds like you want to drag race it.

4.10 in a "street car".
You won't want to drive it more than 2 days a week. Never mind long trips.

Your car is too gorgeous to be sitting in a Dairy Queen parking lot a cupla times a week.

4.10 in a "street car".
You won't want to drive it more than 2 days a week. Never mind long trips.

Your car is too gorgeous to be sitting in a Dairy Queen parking lot a cupla times a week.

Thank you commando, she's mainly gonna be a street light to light car. Everything I need (work, tech school, food, relatives, etc.) is right in my town and I don't really need to do much highway travel. So 2 days a week don't bother me too much.

ever thought about using a single turbo setup instead of a bug catcher?
you could keep the hood and the boost is insane at even mild levels.

i dont like the 4:10 idea id say 3:55
with the 3500 stall and 4:10 gears youd be shifting really quick or just spinning.

IMHO, you are making the classic "too much" mistakes for your street car. What you end up with is a car that you won't enjoy driving and you will get your *** handed to you on the street (and the strip) by someone that knows "less is more".

The tunnel ram and dual carbs aren't going to buy you anything except headaches and you will lose all your bottom end. The rest of the engine isn't built to breathe at the RPM that the tunnel ram starts to work at.

With a heavy car, you want low end torque.... You want to build a "package" that works well.

I'd think about 3.55 gears and a single 4 bbl on a decent manifold. Shift kit for the trans and dial back your converter choice. Opinions vary on the value of headers on a street car, and I'll leave that one alone, but the 3" pipes are overkill. When you figure all this out (and the guys here can point to specific stuff), then call a cam company that specializes in Mopar cams for a cam recommendation. Stay away from the places that do a "one grind fits all". They come up with a grind for a SBC and that's what they use across the board.

I wish you luck.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm unfortunately in a hole with this set up and maxed on funds... Anyone have an idea if I'm going to be able to get this to work at all? All my advice previously has been from Moparts threads.

You likely will not enjoy it.

With the tunnel ram and turbo it will be gutless from off the line to 30 mph then kick in. By then your race is lost..

It will be a screamer (revving too high) all the time tooling around with those gears and coverter..

Less converter. Less gear. Less highrise. Less carbs.

You have a heavy car which you want to get moving up off the line with torque at lower revs.

Go for a lower torque band (idle to 3000 rpm) by using a good big block mopar cam. Use a slightly lower gear and coverter. You won't regret it.

Watch this video - this is torque from off idle (I just stepped on it in gear at 10 mph).

With the tunnel ram and turbo it will be gutless from off the line to 30 mph then kick in. By then your race is lost..

It will be a screamer (revving too high) all the time tooling around with those gears and coverter..

You have a heavy car which you want to get moving up off the line with torque at lower revs.

Go for a lower torque band (idle to 3000 rpm) by using a good big block mopar cam. Use a slightly lower gear and coverter. You won't regret it.

Watch this video - this is torque from off idle (I just stepped on it in gear at 10 mph).

That's getting it done.

That's awesome Ross! Haha I've always admired multiple carb set ups like six packs, cross ram duals, etc. and always wanted to make one work, but this makes me a little hesitant. I found this 440 (with 727) for $4000 already set up with this stuff and just being trying to match up for it to work. Which part of my combo makes it undrivable if I commit to this set up? My guesses were the low rev and neutered compression. So in order to get up to the ~2800 RPM power band I was thinking more gear and stall to kinda get there ASAP. Any and all advice welcome, Thanks again!

"Which part of my combo makes it undrivable if I commit to this set up?"

All of it especially the multi carb setup. I would ditch the multiple carb and bug catcher and the high stall and the 4:10s.

Get a good dual plane aftermarket manifold and a bit bigger than stock carb - say 700 - 800 CFM. More than that is too much for the street. Even the multi carb factory setups like 300 Gs etc were meant for 60 mph + performance. If you still want more oomph after that consider a single turbo as suggested above. They still lag but if you're set up already for off the line grunt then the turbo is just an extra helping of good gravy.

3:55 gears max. Slightly higher stall, but only a few hundred more RPM than stock.

Headers with 2.5 max diametre pipes. Low end grunt needs a little back pressure believe it or not.

Your heads sound good. Compression is max for turbo and pump gas use. I'm not a fan of Holleys but others are. I like Carter setups.

Believe it or not, look into a motor home cam. Tons/gobs/bucket loads of grunt off the line although they run out of steam past 4500 rpm... but really, when are you actually going to see 4500 in town? And then on the highway is where the turbo can really wake things up.

With a setup like this you can drive around all night and be comfortable in the car as well as be very very respected in the stoplight wars and the highway passing game.

A final word - UPGRADE YOUR BRAKES.
GO FAST IS USELESS WITHOUT STOP GOOD BRAKES.

"Which part of my combo makes it undrivable if I commit to this set up?"

All of it especially the multi carb setup. I would ditch the multiple carb and bug catcher and the high stall and the 4:10s.

Get a good dual plane aftermarket manifold and a bit bigger than stock carb - say 700 - 800 CFM. More than that is too much for the street. Even the multi carb factory setups like 300 Gs etc were meant for 60 mph + performance. If you still want more oomph after that consider a single turbo as suggested above. They still lag but if you're set up already for off the line grunt then the turbo is just an extra helping of good gravy.

3:55 gears max. Slightly higher stall, but only a few hundred more RPM than stock.

Headers with 2.5 max diametre pipes. Low end grunt needs a little back pressure believe it or not.

Your heads sound good. Compression is max for turbo and pump gas use. I'm not a fan of Holleys but others are. I like Carter setups.

Believe it or not, look into a motor home cam. Tons/gobs/bucket loads of grunt off the line although they run out of steam past 4500 rpm... but really, when are you actually going to see 4500 in town? And then on the highway is where the turbo can really wake things up.

With a setup like this you can drive around all night and be comfortable in the car as well as be very very respected in the stoplight wars and the highway passing game.

A final word - UPGRADE YOUR BRAKES.
GO FAST IS USELESS WITHOUT STOP GOOD BRAKES.

Never been the biggest fan of turbo or any boosts too much always liked more of a naturally aspirated built engine (even though efficiency wise there terrible.) and 100% agree on those brakes the 4 wheel manual drums may not cut it. Please don't think I'm trying to argue with you or acting like I know better, believe me I don't haha. I am taking your advice and am thankful for everyone's help. However I am already almost $10,000 in the hole trying to make a match for the Dual Tunnel Ram and can't make my money back at this point (Roughly 2k in exhaust alone committing to 3in) defienlty can't spend more, and to add insult to injury the cars up on stands absolutely dissected with near none of the original parts with it to make it even a roller (old 318, 2.76 rear, small block 727 etc. all gone) that's why I'm trying to find out if there is any way this will work, or just be like a slant six running on 5 cylinders Haha. I was listening to everyone on different threads and parts companies for advice as well trying to cover my bases. Again thanks for your time!

I'm a bit confused. Are you looking for advice or validation? If you already bought the combo, then there's not much to be gained by asking for opinions. Put it together, get it in the car and drive it.

Other than the hole in the hood for a tunnel ram, the big issue I see is with the cam. That much duration is going to give away a lot of torque on the bottom end.

I also believe you'll be unhappy with the combination in the long run, but it will probably be pretty fun to have it rumble and make noise on the street. There's nothing wrong with a little posing every now and then.

You might consider some limited changes with an eye toward the next version. A single four barrel and intake combo won't give up anything in the real world for you and would keep you from having to repair a hole in the hood later. 3.55 gears might be a compromise choice as well. Once you have driven it for a while you can revisit the cam. If you want hot street with the rest of the package you can look into something like 225 degrees of duration. That would give more balance but still have the attitude you're looking for.

Ditto all the previous would be my .2 (and the kiss formula has always worked well for me).

For the car's sake I would suggst if you build the engine with the setup you already are committed too run it without a hood. Then when you hate it you will still have a nice hood when you take all that stuff off.

Back