HELP NEEDED....

Gavin Jeffrey

Reaction score
Hi,
I have nearly completed my restoration of the factory Budd brakes on my 68 Chrysler New Yorker, I have fitted a nice pair of used rotors, rebuilt my bottom ball joints so it is nearly done.
I ordered a pair of reconditioned Budd calipers from Summit Racing, i received the Left side caliper and very happy with the product.
Only big issue i have is that the Right side is on back order with Summit and has been for 2 months now, they are now saying they can't locate a right side caliper to recondition and send to me.
And so can't give me a ETA on if and when i will get the other caliper.
Im in Australia and can't just go and find one,
I was hoping someone might have a used caliper i can have sent to them for the core to be reconditioned.
This is stopping me from finishing the car and getting it on the road, its the only job left after a major cosmetic restoration.
Do you know of any supplier that would have a reconditioned caliper or a cardone one.
Please let me know what you can help me out with.
I would be very greatfull for any help.

Thanks guys

Gavin.

Did you try Rock Auto? I’ve gotten a couple from them. Also try these guys. Imperial, New Yorker, Town & Country, Polara, Monaco, Fury, 300, 1965-69 Left Front Caliper
I‘ve been running their SS sleeved calipers on my silver car for a few years now and they might have some in stock.
I do have a few sets of cores if needed. Just let me know.
I buy a bit from Rock, they don't have RH in stock, seems RH is the one no one has, plenty of LH reconditioned around. how much for a RH core

Driver side of car is confusing down under in OZ if it's a Aussie build.

Here in the USA Driver side ='s Left Side, Passenger Side ='s Right Side of vehicle.

Always, regardless of whether it's right hand or left hand drive, the side of the car is determined by the view seen from sitting in the seat facing forward.

A BUDD disc brake, 4 piston caliper, can easily be a right hand, or a left hand caliper.
The main housing is drilled at both ends, for both the bleeder screw, and the brake hard line.
All that needs to be done is remove the brass "tube seat" in one side of the caliper that you want to use on the opposite side, install the bleeder screw, and put the tube seat in the opposite hole that the bleeder screw came out of.
Tube seats are available, over the internet, just have to know where to look for them.

And, i too have disassembled core calipers.

Carlson H9446 Disc Brake Caliper Repair Kit | eBay

Brake Bleeder Screw Carlson H9446 | eBay

Last edited:
A BUDD disc brake, 4 piston caliper, can easily be a right hand, or a left hand caliper.
The main housing is drilled at both ends, for both the bleeder screw, and the brake hard line.
All that needs to be done is remove the brass "tube seat" in one side of the caliper that you want to use on the opposite side, install the bleeder screw, and put the tube seat in the opposite hole that the bleeder screw came out of.
Tube seats are available, over the internet, just have to know where to look for them.

Hi, Thanks for the information, i just looked at mine and yes it looks like they interchange, have you done this before and found it worked.

There's a handy bit of information right there!

Kevin

Hi, Thanks for the information, i just looked at mine and yes it looks like they interchange, have you done this before and found it worked.
I have always had pairs of BUDD disc brake calipers, in all the decades that i have been around parts like this.
Personally, never had to change over bleeder screws, or tube seats, but it's easy enough to figure it all out, when you get into the rebuilding of calipers like this, throughout the years.

Last edited:

Thats great information. I sent your message to Cardone to see if they will offer any help.

800-777-4780

MON-FRI 8am-5pm
888-280-TECH (8324)

Back