HELP, New Proform Distributor, Rebult Edelbrock 1405 Upgrades & No Run

TheDude13

Reaction score
So Ive been working on my 1968 Fury III for a while now. 318 rebuilt w 292 comp cam before me. auto. had a stock intake, stock carb, points, champion plugs.

was running, missing on colder nights. started having run issues come winter so i let her sit. got my Parts Pile up and was driving her to the shop when she died. gave up n towed her the rest of the way. put on a New Proform Electronic 66991 Dizzy, Picked up a 318/360 Edelbrock Manifold and a 1405 Carb used. Rebuilt the carb with one of my buddies (Not his 1st rodeo, but we arent pros at all).

So Now fully installed, New Dizzy Wired up Via instructions we have run into these issues:
Ballast was getting hot and coil was warm. swapped ballast around, no more hottness.
set timing at Cyl #1 and dizzy at cyl #1, Cranks but No Sputter No Bog, No Backfire... Still

installed accell wires

Ngk Plugs

Carb is a Edelbrock 1405 w No fuel spraying as accelerator pump is pressed (New Edelbrock Accel Pump). Fed Fuel into the carb not firing up still.

Cranks over. Low Voltage at the Coil ( 6 ) but get a full 12 at the ballast.

Car developed the No Run issues on the way to upgrade the Dizzy and carb as we figured the old points to be our issue before the upgrades.

Fankly im stummped. Not Cugging Bogging Popping or anything. we get Spark from the coil and at the plugs

fuel bubbles into the fuel fitler but the plugs are barely damp?

i might be facing more than one issue. please help.

1968 Plymouth Fury III.jpg

check your fuel pump. they dry out and split from sitting and from the new gas. you should have a strong squirt into the filter

I'm just gonna throw this out there... Was the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke when you set the distributor?

I'm just gonna throw this out there... Was the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke when you set the distributor?

Ding ding ding

A piston is at TDC twice in the four stroke cycle. Once is compression, whiche preceeds the power stroke, then there's the exhaust stroke. You have to make sure you're on compression. Easiest way to do that is pull the spark plug on 1, stick you finger over the plug hole, and bump the engine with a wrench by jumping the fender relay (or using the right starter button tool). When you feel pressure escaping - it's the compression stroke. Use a socket and turn it to TDC by hand. Then pull the distributor and look down in the hole. The oil pump drive slot should be pointed at the #1 spark plug. If it's not, turn it so it does. (use a big flat blade screwdriver and turn it backwards to allow it to rotate and come up above the cam gear) Then mark the bidy of the distributer as to the #1 terminal on the cap, pull the ignition cap, point the rotor at the #1 spot, and reinstall it. Make sure the firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 on the cap and wires, and replace the cap. If you got it right, and the gas is there (check by operating throttle - if fuel comes from the accelerator pump squirtors, you're good), it should fire.

i will re check timing, i thought i had it correct, i could be mistaken as i did not know #1 would top out twice. When i pulled my cap my roter wheel was pointing toward the pass headlight.

fuel i was thinking fuel pump and fuel pressure... would that cause me not to have fuel in my bowls?
when i pull my lid and manually fill my bowls my Ac. pump squirts. otherwise it wont.

recheck your dist, then fill carb bowls and some down carb throat. then try to start

gonna pull the fuel pump and check for trash and damage. i get increased fuel into my fuel filter (which is newer). but it never fully fills up and i dont get fuel into my bowls on my carbs for some reason... bad fuel pump? low fuel pressure? its a Manual fuel Pump.

Well Crap!!! So after Only having internet at times, being stumpped and searching... My buddy walks up and was like "Dude... you have two lines wrong, did you plum it as stock or for the edelbrock?"

WTF all this and it was 2 swapped lines. Fired Right Up!!!!

so i have a Miss but i have fuel and she starts up. we re adjusted the floats some but she still needs lovin. gonna go back and swap out my IM gaskets being as tho this was my first Carb Car and Carb Rebuild i used cork gasket.... so Im going back in to swap it out.

Back