Help please - 99 Durango 5.2 starts and dies

tallhair

Rufus T. Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score
99 Durango 5.2 starts and dies. If I give it gas it will run but won’t idle. If I don’t give it gas it dies instantly. Runs above 1100 RPM but below 1000 it dies.

I suspect I fried something when charging it last. Wife was pressure washing so I closed the hood. Battery charger was under hood and everything looked like it would be fine and not short anywhere.

hood insulation covers almost every thing except underhood light.

but I saw what was either mist from pressure washer or a little wisp of smoke. I opened hood back up and no smoke. Checked charger and still charging.

Finished charging and battery fully charged, now engine starts dies as soon as I let off the key unless I give it gas.

I don’t see anything that looks burnt. Could it be a throttle position sensor or something ?

:(

My durango does this after its been sitting a while.

Usually I just keep it running with my foot on the gas keeping it above 1000RPM (think high idle on cold carbed 318) then as it warms up you can gradually let off and usually it will start idling on its own.

Thats my experience. Don't know exactly what makes it do it, but it only happens after a while of no use/dead battery.

My durango does this after its been sitting a while.

Usually I just keep it running with my foot on the gas keeping it above 1000RPM (think high idle on cold carbed 318) then as it warms up you can gradually let off and usually it will start idling on its own.

Thats my experience. Don't know exactly what makes it do it, but it only happens after a while of no use/dead battery.

That’s the situation here. Haven’t been driving it much past year. Battery went dead and wouldn’t take a charge so new battery. Left glove box open (broken latch) and drained the battery .

So then I had to charge and now doesn’t want to idle.

Think I’ll do as you suggest and see if that helps after warm up.

Mr driveway is also a slight incline and gas is probably a year old.

It has to relearn the idle after the battery goes dead or is disconnected.

Makes perfect sense now that you point that out. I recall unhooking battery on 89 Mustang GT to make it relearn MAS fuel curve after making “adjustments” haha

Thanks for the quick and helpful advice Wyatt.!!!

I was really dreading having to use my new digicals checker to figure out what was going on with the lightning make it happener lol.

Back